Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper way to plug return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper way to plug return jets

I plan to use rubber expansion plugs and the water level will remain a few inches above the return jets. The jets, I believe to be Pentair, consist of three parts: a retainer; the eyeball; and a threaded eyeball socket.

I took the three parts into my local pool supply store and the rep sold me plugs that fit into the eyeball socket, but the plugs are too small if I remove the eyeball socket. Is it okay to remove just the retainer and eyeball and plug -- or should I get larger plugs and also remove the eyeball socket to plug?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x30, 12,500 gal. IG gunite/plaster with 60% quartz; Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp 2 speed pump & .75 hp booster pump; SmartPure ozone generator; Hayward C6060 SwimClear Microban cartridge filter; Hayward Ecommand HPC-4Controller; Pentair chlorine feeder; Polaris 280 robo vac. All installed Aug. 2014. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Proper way to plug return jets

What would be better than the rubber plug would be to use a threaded PVC plug. Just remove the socket and screw in the plug. It should have an o-ring to seal it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Proper way to plug return jets

Quote Originally Posted by The Cabana Boy View Post
    I plan to use rubber expansion plugs and the water level will remain a few inches above the return jets. The jets, I believe to be Pentair, consist of three parts: a retainer; the eyeball; and a threaded eyeball socket.

I took the three parts into my local pool supply store and the rep sold me plugs that fit into the eyeball socket, but the plugs are too small if I remove the eyeball socket. Is it okay to remove just the retainer and eyeball and plug -- or should I get larger plugs and also remove the eyeball socket to plug?

I never get a good airtight seal using my threaded plugs. I always see tiny air bubbles while the mighty mac is on. Even after replacing the o-ring and/or using teflon. I wonder if my return fittings are somehow compromised.

I think I will try the rubber expansion plugs next year.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by run53 View Post
    I never get a good airtight seal using my threaded plugs. I always see tiny air bubbles while the mighty mac is on. Even after replacing the o-ring and/or using teflon. I wonder if my return fittings are somehow compromised.

I think I will try the rubber expansion plugs next year.

I switched over 3 or 4 yrs ago to the rubber plugs and they work fine. I only use the o ring type in my skimmers with no problems.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

With the threaded plug you can try some paste thread sealant on the threads. Make sure it's rated for PVC.
    For large dia fittings I always use the paste sealant. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    With the threaded plug you can try some paste thread sealant on the threads. Make sure it's rated for PVC.
    For large dia fittings I always use the paste sealant. ��
    I've tried that too this year. The blue stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the threads are the problem. May be the faceplate like the original poster. I am closed up now and use antifreeze as a backup, just in case. But when i open up next year, I will experiment with the faceplate and a blower to see if i can get to the bottom of this.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you use paste thread sealer, just make sure it's the non-hardening kind and rated for pool chemicals such as chlorine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just FYI - I decided not to use the rubber plugs because I was concerned they would not seal with the two slots that are inside the eyeball sockets. Instead, I removed the eyeball sockets and used threaded plugs with o-rings. I did use silicone lube on the o-rings but did not use sealant on the threads. I figure using sealant on the threads might be a good back-up but the o-ring should make an adequate seal.
    16x30, 12,500 gal. IG gunite/plaster with 60% quartz; Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp 2 speed pump & .75 hp booster pump; SmartPure ozone generator; Hayward C6060 SwimClear Microban cartridge filter; Hayward Ecommand HPC-4Controller; Pentair chlorine feeder; Polaris 280 robo vac. All installed Aug. 2014. Taylor K-2006 test kit.