Using a timer for pump and SWG

Pne123

Aug 11, 2014
Anderson, ca
I have an intex SWG and I going to be installing a Hayward EC40 pump and DE filter which does not have a timer. I was going to put a the pump on a timer. Can I also put the SWG on the same timer so it comes on at the same time as the pump? I think the manual says turn it on 15 min after the pump starts and 15 min before the pump goes off. Is this really needed?

I can not find a timer w/ 2 outlets that lets you program the individually. Would like the save $ on an additional timer. Thanks.

I will offer what I can others will confirm or deny. The 15 minute deal ensures the SWG doesn't shut off for low flow during startup and on shutdown it probably ensures no low flow and that chlorine is purged from the lines.

The SWG has a timer so it seems you would only need one for the pump. Then, start the SWG an hour after the pump starts and shut it down an hour before the pump shuts off. The SWG can only be programmed in hour increments if I recall correctly. You may have to run it a few times over 24 hours but it's workable. My pump comes on using the timer during the day but I frequently start it manually a few times each week.

The Intermatic timer on Amazon works perfectly with my Hayward pump and I'm certain it was less than $25.

Also, you could use one timer with a multiple plug thingy... you know what I mean. Right? Lol. An extension cord thingy but shorter. Walmart sells them I am sure. I am sure glad you can't rate my on this comment. Lol

Thanks. I was just thinking if power went out, or some unseen event, they would still be in sync. I will just use the SWG timer and reset it as needed. I guess if the SWG turns on w/ the pump on the low flow sensor would just turn it off. No harm no foul.
I know the timers are not too much but I just bought the used Hayward EC40 today w/o the wife's permission. One year old and got it for $120. Could not wait for permission. Easier to sneak it to the yard and if caught beg for forgiveness

The SWG will need to be reset for sure. You might find a timer on Craigslist or Ebay a bit cheaper. Yeah, tread lightly until the pump price settles in. You might also warn your wife that the pool is just the beginning. You will spend lots of money upgrading over the next year. Intex is a teaser pool. Good job on getting a good pump.

I also got a three way thingie. 18" splitter cord with built in GFCI and a water proof extension cord junction box. Going to run heavy ext cord to the box into the splitter, then plug in the timer into one outlet for the pump and plug the SWG into one of the other outlets, even though it has its own GFCI, using the timer on the swg and this will leave me one outlet for light or radio that is still GFCI protected.

Previous house had the SWG hardwired into the timer with the pump. Maybe the Intex work differently? It was a Hayward and there was no resetting required and no timer in the SWG.

Previous house had the SWG hardwired into the timer with the pump. Maybe the Intex work differently? It was a Hayward and there was no resetting required and no timer in the SWG.

+1

At my previous house, I had a single timer hardwired to both my pump and Jandy AquaPure SWG. When the pump was on, the electrolyzer was generating chlorine. I never had to recent the SWG....just had to adjust the % level seasonally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.