BerNur

Jul 5, 2014
Brandon FL
I have been using this forum to fix my pool and search the forums for a while but im at a point where i need advice.

A little bit of history, i purchased this house with a figure 8 pool. It was green when i moved in, went to pinch a penny (local pool store) and reading this forum i went through certain procedures and got it back to health. Once it was back up and running i was dealing with several issues which i resolved.

I later realized the sand started getting back in the pool and back washing didn't help so i replaced the sand. A week later i noticed the pressure dropped down to 3 PSI, no bubbles at the pump but i did notice my jets were weak. So i started investigating and noticed that if i turn the ball valve closer to the closed position the pressure increased. If anyone can explain what this ball valve does i would appreciate it. I noticed it decreases the pressure at my main jet and it allows me to control the flow equally across all the jets.

I was researching but couldn't find much, the next day i went back to my filter to notice it was off, well the timer went bad so i had to switch it on and off manually and watched the pump come on. As the pump primed my multiport valve started leaking and there is a split at one of the 1 1/2 ports.

At this point im not sure whats to do, i dont want to hurt my pool so i need a fix asap. I tried the clamp method but the damage is more like a split then a crack so it didnt do anything. So what do i do i now? The system is very old im not sure how old, do i buy a new filter maybe DE or cartridge, keep my old sand filter with brand new 100 pounds of sand and just buy a new multiport valve and keep everything the same? Also i already replaced the spider gasket, it being pentair i had to change the whole diaphram piece and it was nearly 60$. Im new to this stuff so i will try my best to help you guys help me. Thanks

Berin

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like the red ball valve allows you to bypass the filter ... that is not usually a good idea. I could guess that it could be for a port to connect a pressure side cleaner to? Although they usually have a smaller separate filter as well which I do not see in the pictures.

It would be simplest to just replace the multi-valve ... keep the spider gasket as a spare.

I do not really understand how the heat pump is plumbed into the system.

First of all sorry about the pictures im not sure why they are sideways, when i upload them using the forum attachment button they flip.

Im not sure about a connect for pressure side cleaner i have not seen any port anywhere for it, i have been using the port on the skimmer to vacuum the pool. What do you suggest me do with the red ball valve should i eliminate it? Also buying a new multiport valve im assuming i have to buy the same one?

Im not sure what filter i have since its really old there is no stickers or markings on it. All i know is that the entire system is pentair.

About the heat pump im not sure either i thought about digging around it to see where the pipes go but i dont think i will ever use it. Also its so old that i dont believe it even works. Maybe one day i will replace it or remove it. Thank you for the fast response.

EDIT: Im not sure what happen to my original post it somehow got deleted.

When you changed the pictures, it needed to be re-approved.

You said the ball valves opens up 1 return port in the pool right? That could be a place to hook up a cleaner. I would just set it so that all the jets are about the same.

Yes, you would need to get the same valve.

When you changed the pictures, it needed to be re-approved.

You said the ball valves opens up 1 return port in the pool right? That could be a place to hook up a cleaner. I would just set it so that all the jets are about the same.

Yes, you would need to get the same valve.

Oh ok thank you for the clarification. I was worried for a minute.. Yes thats correct.

The valve in open position will decrease my pool pressure to 3-5 psi, and only my center jet will have very high flow the other ones very low.

As i turn the ball valve to closed position the center jet decreases in flow but all my other jets increase in flow also the pressure on the multiport valve increase to 20 psi. From my understanding the system should operate at 10 psi?

There is no "normal" pressure so I have no idea why you would think it should be 10psi. 20 could be perfectly reasonable.

Right, so the center jet could be where you could hook up a pressure cleaner (maybe).

There is no "normal" pressure so I have no idea why you would think it should be 10psi. 20 could be perfectly reasonable.

Right, so the center jet could be where you could hook up a pressure cleaner (maybe).

Oh really on my pressure gauge it shows start and clean.. but i guess it doesnt matter im really glad you cleared that up. i was chasing a the pipes thinking it was a leak, it was driving me crazy.. thank you again..

i will be buying the TF-100 test kit this weekend so i will post results in this post if its ok.

You can turn the needles wherever you want them to point. But really we do not recommend waiting for a 10psi rise. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

You realize you have to order the TF-100 online right?

You can turn the needles wherever you want them to point. But really we do not recommend waiting for a 10psi rise. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

You realize you have to order the TF-100 online right?

Ok that's good to know. I have been cleaning it every 2 vacuum cycles since I haven't seen my pressure rise. It's just dropping slightly because I keep discovering leaks, my chlorinated and all 3 jandy valves are leaking (2 are cracked). Fixing majority today.

Sorry about the late post been dealing with some personal problems (house was broken into) we are still recovering from that. So I will be buying the test kit very soon from the website.

I also discovered something else, my seat area or what ever it is, didn't have return jets so when I installed them one of the two pipes stubbed out of the ground behind my pool start shooting water. The pipe looks like someone cut into it for a reason it has a slanted cut in it.

I have done some research and found some people refer to it as a back pressure pipe, air release pipe and something else can't remember. But I couldn't find out what to do with it. Should I cut it and cap it off?
Here's a picture and sorry that I couldn't do more research since the only internet device I have available is a smart phone. Thanks again.

d70278b098a69158161021636e9addd0.jpg

7b7311c7a80731681628986e0f24be91.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.