Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about my closing

1. Back To Top    #1

question about my closing

New pool build this year includes a closing. I installed the solid safety cover myself. It has a center drain. My builder came, dismantled my pump and filter, clean the inside of filter, blew out all lines, installed plugs on returns, and gizzmos on both skimmers. Water is over returns and about 3 inches into skimmer. Isn't the water supposed to be below the skimmer???? I'm in NY, so there will be freezing. Am I missing something?
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: question about my closing

It is ok in a vinyl pool. However, with a solid/drain style cover, you will want to set a submersible pump in the pool and drain it down some so rain water can pass through. If the pool fills up too much, water will come back up through the cover drain.

Water will get into your skimmer no matter where the water level in the pool is. As long as there is a bottle or something in there to take up ice expansion, they will be just fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: question about my closing

I assume your PB used duck plugs to blow out the lines, water doesn't have to be lowered when using those, hydraulic pressure keeps the lips closed, supposedly.

The water will eventually get up to the skimmer even if water was drained below the returns. I don't see a big issue.