High pH, SWCG, No Access to Muriatic Acid

Based on your numbers and my local prices for acid and a 5lb co2 fill, the doses you suggest would be about $.40 for acid and $.50 for co2. That's with the co2 being priced by the 5lb fill. Larger tanks would have a better economy of scale, so the price would be roughly equal. That's not a bad deal at all if someone doesn't want to mess with acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with CO2 is that it does not reduce the TA, and TA is the major cause of pH rise. Once you get the TA down, the pH rise should almost completely stop. Therefore, muriatic acid is a one-time thing whereas CO2 is something you have to continue doing indefinitely.

My experience with SWGs is that there is almost no pH rise once you get the TA right.

Also, if you follow the chemistry from production to consumption of chlorine, it works out to being net pH neutral. You might get some pH rise if some of the chlorine gas didn't dissolve into the water and was instead lost to the air, but I think that that would be a very rare exception.

My TA was always between 60-70 this summer, and I still had a slight ph rise. I had to add about 20oz of acid about every 7-10 days to take ph from 7.8 to 7.5. If the TA was lower, like 50, would that ph rise not happen? Or would the ph possibly not go higher than 7.8 with TA 60-70 if I had just left it alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the pH doesn't go above 7.8, I just leave it alone. I have found that a TA of about 60 works well. The lower you want to keep the pH, the lower you need to keep the TA. For a stable pH of 7.5, you would need a TA of about 50.

This also assumes that the cyanuric acid level is about 60 to 70.

thanks guys for all of your answers. I have been able to get the dry acid. I pour in 7 pounds and a few hours later I can get a reading of 7.4. In 2 days it is back up to 8.0-8.2. Is it possible that as the pebble finish cures, it is causing the pH to rise? I have not started the salt yet, and when I do there is going to be a new thread for which locally available salt is preferred. MY TA is still around 140. The 14 lb. of HTH pH Minus brought it down a little. Am I just going to keep having to add and add weekly until the TA gets down to a workable level? This is a big cost at 65 soles (25 dollars) per 7 lb. container. So far we've added 6 of them since we filled the pool 2 weeks ago and the pH is 8.0 again today. By the way, I am using a tablet floater and going through maybe a tablet per week. I was told to try and keep my pool with as low FC as possible for the first month or so. so my FC levels are somewhere between 0.5 and 1. When it gets down to nothing - as we are under full sun, I am adding liquid Chlorine which I know brings the pH up a little, but it shouldn't be that much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.