Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of paint to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of paint to use?

I'm in Arizona and manage a 55+ mobile home park.I just had my pool acid washed but it still has some discoloration and stains from mineral deposits. I saw this as we started the refill process. The plaster is in pretty good condition otherwise. It's never been painted but I'm thinking about painting it. I have researched and found some different paint products that I am considering. Ultra-Guard and Rustoleum acrylic or epoxy are my two top choices for now but I would greatly appreciate any advice from anyone who has used or has knowledge of these or other paints. I've seen a few reviews about both products, both good and bad.The pool is drained now and time is of the essence as I will probably start the paint process today or tomorrow (October 15-16). The prep work is already done as far as acid wash and clean-up. Thanks.
    22.4K gal., plaster, sand filter, installed early 70's,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of paint to use?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Painting is a VERY temporary "fix". You pool will look much worse in a couple years when the paint fades and starts flaking off.

I would suggest saving your money towards a replaster if the discolorations bother you.

Of course if you can identify the stains (metals vs. organics), it may be possible to remove them as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I really don't want to paint it, but it really does look kinda bad. I have been pretty happy with the contractor that did the acid wash and he tells me that borax will help get rid of the stains. He had planned to add that for us as part of the job. We're relatively sure iron and copper are the culprits.
    22.4K gal., plaster, sand filter, installed early 70's,

4. Back To Top    #4

Very doubtful that borax will do anything ... it is used to raise the pH which often makes staining worse.

Sounds like you may need an ascorbic acid treatment. See the link in the Metals article in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...d-metal-stains
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!