Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump running at high speed/ not priming fully / filter at 33psi ! / low water flow ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump running at high speed/ not priming fully / filter at 33psi ! / low water flow ??

Yesterday, I noticed our waterfall trickling and my vacuum style Hayward Navigator was not moving at all. I went over to the equipment and saw that the pump was running full speed but was only half full. I checked the filter pressure gauge and saw 33 psi. Normally 20 psi.

I just cleaned the filter last month but did not add DE because I wanted to add a Black Algae treatment. I spotted 10 or 12 small button size dark spots on the gunite surface so I added the algae treatment to my pool and the water started to bubble up on the surface as if I had added soap. It has been a week since I added the algae treatment and all the bubbles have now disappeared. I checked and cleaned all filter baskets, no joy. I added silicone to pump lid o-ring and verified a good seal.

Could this be an impeller issue? If so how can I be sure? What else could cause this, any ideas appreciated?

My pump is a: Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable Speed Pool Pump (2 years old)
    Filter is: Hayward DE6020 with a 2-position backwash valve (10 years old)

Let me know if you guy's need more information.
    16,000 gallon, IG, plaster, filter= DE 60 sq ft, Pump= Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP variable speed, Build date= 2004, SPA, Heater= Pentair natural gas 400k BTU, Cleaner= Hayward Navigator (Pool equipment installed 2 feet above pool water level)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump running at high speed/ not priming fully / filter at 33psi ! / low water flo

My guess is the algae treatment has blinded off your filter elements.

See paragraph 3 in the link below about never running a DE filter without DE.

http://www.poolcenter.com/dePoolFilter

Let's hope you can backwash the grids clean.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump running at high speed/ not priming fully / filter at 33psi ! / low water flo

On second thoughts backwashing might not be such a good idea. If there's still stuff in your pool water you could end up blinding off both sides of the elements.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your grids are likely all messed up now. Time to take it apart for a good cleaning and soaking; hopefully they are not beyond recovery.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!