Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Re-Plaster - Tile Inlay on Steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Re-Plaster - Tile Inlay on Steps

We have our pool stripped down to the gunite. Originally, I was told that the tile inlay on the steps would be done by the plaster sub-contractors, but to my surprise, the tile installers put down what appears to be 1" thick mortar and laid the tiles on top of that. I'm guessing they want the plaster sub to fill the grout lines with plaster.

My main concern is long term and preventing "leakage." Should I have this removed and ask that this inlay be placed directly on plaster? Or is it ok to have the inlays site on mortar and tile/plaster over that?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Re-Plaster - Tile Inlay on Steps

From what I was told, if you do a line of tile on the steps, it would get placed before the plaster. Only if you do a few "marker tiles" would they set the tile when plastering the pool.
    :
    ~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I did a row of tile on my steps and benches. They did it like yours (mortar bed and plastered on/around the tiles). Looks fine and no issues.
    TF-100 XL w/ Speed Stir
    South facing, roughly 10,000 gallon inground L shapped PebbleSheen with spa (plastered 7/30/2014 and filled 7/31)
    Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 580 SF, Jandy Pro Series ePump Variable Speed Pump, 2.0HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Wouldn't it be pretty tough to get tiles aligned if it was strictly held in by plaster?
    I think that's what my pb has in mind on our pool/spa. I'm a little worried about the quality.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I would want mortar/grout holding the tiles (that is what they did on mine) and then finished/surrounded by interior finish.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

6. Back To Top    #6

I appreciate all the feedback and glad to hear that the mortar bed for the tile inlay is normal

7. Back To Top    #7

To complete this thread, the plaster company also did the tile work. The tilers put the tile down on all the steps and it looks perfect. We had to have the spa re-leveled a few inches and the plasters reworked the tile in the spa during the re-plaster process. I got to see both tile work from both teams and prefer that the tilers do it. Like stated earlier, the plasters have a finite amount of time and it's harder to lay down tile on wet plaster. It came out ok, but not as good as the tile inlay in the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good to know as we may be plastering this week. They are supposed to lay the tile on seats and steps today instead of on plaster day. I won't know for sure until I get home if they did or not. I sure hope so. Trying to tile approx 75 linear feet of tile while also trying to get plaster right sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Glad to hear that you are over the hump on this one and that it all worked out.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just wanted to add that the mortar they lay the waterline and step tile with is a specially made water barrier thinset. My PB used 'Porcelain Set' by SGM, but there are other similar thinsets that builders use.

We had our line step tile laid ahead of time and our spot decorative tile in the spa laid by the pool plasterers. The plasterers did a great job. I'm not going to say what I think about the tile guys. Except to say that when all the white thinset lines are no longer visible I'll consider paying the final draw. We did'n't have great tile guys.
    Eva.
    We are building a 14x28 in ground with a spillover spa...
    All Pentair Equipment, 3HP VS pump, Sand Filter, 250K BTU gas heater, 2HP blower.
    Easytouch 4. Pentair Racer Cleaner.