What is causing this green sludge foam in hot tub?

Alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride is a quatanery algaecide and will foam. It is not recommended to use that type.

It looks like you need to slam your hot tub. The chlorine will get rid of the foam (and the algeacide too). It will probably eat up your FC until its mostly gone.

- - - Updated - - -

The green you see in it is probably alge being killed.

Wow, thanks, what should I be using?

What is SLAM? Keep seeing that in other posts?

Read this for recommendations on how to maintain a hot tub/spa with chlorine. Now, that is based on a stand alone spa. Maintained properly like a pool extra "stuff" is generally not needed.

From the picture it appears to be in ground, but is that stand alone or connected to a pool? If it is connected to a pool you generally need to exchange water regularly so that the spa is maintained along with the pool.

We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem. For a small spa like that I would just drain/refill it and start over rather than SLAMing. If it is connected to the pool and you have this problem in both places than a SLAM is in order.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Read this for recommendations on how to maintain a hot tub/spa with chlorine. Now, that is based on a stand alone spa. Maintained properly like a pool extra "stuff" is generally not needed.

From the picture it appears to be in ground, but is that stand alone or connected to a pool? If it is connected to a pool you generally need to exchange water regularly so that the spa is maintained along with the pool.

We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem. For a small spa like that I would just drain/refill it and start over rather than SLAMing. If it is connected to the pool and you have this problem in both places than a SLAM is in order.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks, I will look into these, it is a spa / pool combo, it is not clear from the picture.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.