Northeast OK
FC-6
CC-0
TC-6
PH-7.8
TA-80
CH-170
CYA-0-10
(25,000 gallon above ground pool with sand filter)

We will have our above ground pool open for a few more weeks before closing. However, the last 2 years we had trouble with calcium scaling on the walls (a ring around the pool about where the winter water level is) when we opened it for the summer. We do not cover our pool because it is in the open and the wind rips our cover to shreds. I have a leaf rake and I try weekly to rake the leaves out of the pool. A friend told me she always floats chlorine pucks all winter long. I thought I might try that. Like I said, our pool is in the open and wind hits it all winter and I think the PH rises, which if I am correct, consistent high PH can cause calcium scaling? I am trying to avoid the ring of calcium scale in the spring. Last year we closed our pool with a winterizing kit from the pool store. The calcium scaling was not as bad this spring at opening as it was the year before.

I know floating chlorine pucks can lower the PH and raise the CYA. Given my numbers and the problem I am having when we open the pool, does anyone have any suggestions? I didn't see a recommended CYA level at closing and I am guessing maybe it's not important?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.