Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about the "extra drop" rule

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about the "extra drop" rule

Does the "extra drop" rule apply to the FAS-DPD test? I've noticed that if I add the extra drop when testing the FC, then my CC will be 0. However, if I don't add the extra drop when testing FC, then my CC is 0.5.

Because the limit for CC is 0.5, this distinction could be important if the CC is truly above 0.5 and the extra drop during the FC test artificially lowers the CC reading by 0.5.

Thanks!
    23K gal, 38' x 22' irregular, gunite, StoneScapes Mini Pebbles, 2 HP TriStar 2spd pump, 525 sqft cartridge filter, TurboCell SWG, ProLogic controller, The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about the "extra drop" rule

I stop adding drops after the pink is gone and the water is colorless, I do not add another drop. Taylor's instructions say to do the same, http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...er&Number=5217.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Question about the "extra drop" rule

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I stop adding drops after the pink is gone and the water is colorless, I do not add another drop. Taylor's instructions say to do the same, http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...er&Number=5217.
    I do the same thing. I can tell the water is clear without adding the extra drop. Went this whole season with zero CC's.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Question about the "extra drop" rule

Ideally you don't want to add an extra drop when doing the FC portion of the FAS-DPD test. However, if there is any confusion about the pink just being mostly gone vs totally gone you may need to use one just to be sure. The extra drop, if any, does count towards CC, but only if there is any CC. Novices have been known to get this wrong in both directions, i.e. using too many drops in the FC portion lowers the CC reading, and likewise using too few drops in the FC portion raises the apparent CC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School