Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Cleaner

Sep 17, 2013
I purchased an MX8 5/31/2013. Never cliimbed walls at all but it worked somewhat well the first week. Hasn't worked well ever since. Creeps along at a VERY slow pace. I have since replaced my 12 year-old pump with a new pentair intelliflow vs, and replaced the cartridges in my filter. I'm very disappointed with the MX8's performance. The pool professional who installed the pump helped me verify the correct amount of suction. I took the MX8 to Leslies for warranty service. They replaced the paddles, motor, and housing and it's still not working any better. I decided to call Zodiac tech support to get some advice. First guy, suggested I move the hose from the dedicated suction line to the skimmer (???). He swears it has fixed issues for people in the past. Now...I'm no pool expert, but doesn't suction=suction=suction as long as it's constant and without air? I couldn't believe the guy persisted with his advice even though I assured him I had accurately verified suction with the Zodiac flow meter on the dedicated line. After hanging up with him I called back immediately and got someone else who discredited the advice and advised me that Leslie's shouldn't have sold me the MX8 for a pebbletec pool. He said a pressure cleaner is the way to go. Hmmm. Well, alas I'm going to take the cleaner back to Leslie's and have them keep replacing stuff under warranty until the thing works. I'm hoping they give up and just allow me to exchange it for something else. When I bought the MX8 I replaced an aging Barracuda...which actually did a pretty good job. I only replaced it because the parts I needed cost a third of the price of a new one...which is when Leslies talked me into the MX8. Sorry I can't be as complimentary of the MX8 as others on this forum. Perhaps I got a lemon, but my experience with the MX8 has been awful. If anyone has advice on how to approach Leslie's/Zodiac for an exchange please let me know. Thank you very much and I want everyone who contributes to know how much I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge these forums provide.

Re: The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

frazeraccount said:
I purchased an MX8 5/31/2013. Never cliimbed walls at all but it worked somewhat well the first week. Hasn't worked well ever since. Creeps along at a VERY slow pace. I have since replaced my 12 year-old pump with a new pentair intelliflow vs, and replaced the cartridges in my filter. I'm very disappointed with the MX8's performance. The pool professional who installed the pump helped me verify the correct amount of suction. I took the MX8 to Leslies for warranty service. They replaced the paddles, motor, and housing and it's still not working any better. I decided to call Zodiac tech support to get some advice. First guy, suggested I move the hose from the dedicated suction line to the skimmer (???). He swears it has fixed issues for people in the past. Now...I'm no pool expert, but doesn't suction=suction=suction as long as it's constant and without air? I couldn't believe the guy persisted with his advice even though I assured him I had accurately verified suction with the Zodiac flow meter on the dedicated line. After hanging up with him I called back immediately and got someone else who discredited the advice and advised me that Leslie's shouldn't have sold me the MX8 for a pebbletec pool. He said a pressure cleaner is the way to go. Hmmm. Well, alas I'm going to take the cleaner back to Leslie's and have them keep replacing stuff under warranty until the thing works. I'm hoping they give up and just allow me to exchange it for something else. When I bought the MX8 I replaced an aging Barracuda...which actually did a pretty good job. I only replaced it because the parts I needed cost a third of the price of a new one...which is when Leslies talked me into the MX8. Sorry I can't be as complimentary of the MX8 as others on this forum. Perhaps I got a lemon, but my experience with the MX8 has been awful. If anyone has advice on how to approach Leslie's/Zodiac for an exchange please let me know. Thank you very much and I want everyone who contributes to know how much I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge these forums provide.

Have you tried adjusting your main and skimmer lines so that the suction on the vacuum line adjusts? My husband and I had the same problems at first but just kept adjusting it until it worked. We have a pebbletec pool and the Mx8 works beautifully. We usually close the main, open the vacuum line all the way, and then adjust the skimmer line until the barracuda is moving around like normal. We marked the placement on the skimmer line but sometimes have to adjust it if the filter is getting dirty.

I was hesitant to increase suction beyond 3 on the Zodiac meter due to all the warnings in the MX8's packaging about not setting suction too high, thereby voiding warranty. Ultimately Leslies actually offered to take the device back. They felt really bad that I had to bring the MX8 in for service twice in 2 weeks. I took them up on their offer and will try something different. I tend to think I just got a defective unit, but don't want to take a chance trying another one. I'm glad the MX8 is working well for others. I think I'll try the Poolvergnuegen 2-wheel cleaner. I would like to give Leslie's the business but it doesn't look like they carry it.

I did end up getting "The Pool Cleaner" 2-wheel model from Poolvergnuegen. WOW! What an awesome cleaner! This thing has been bulletproof and works like a champ! I highly recommend it.

I have never had a complaint about the Poolvergnuegen, simple machine outstanding results. It is the only suction side pool cleaner I would put on my pool.

I took apart several of the MX8s and was astonished on how much can go wrong inside one of those things. Wheels get jammed, trax slip off or that crazy looking turbine getting stuck in he casing. It is cool looking but does not last very long, like a Dodo bird.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.