Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool closer ran amuck with copper algecide

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool closer ran amuck with copper algecide

Hired someone to close my pool and without asking me they dumped in 32oz of copper based algecide before putting the cover on.
    Now I'm worried about copper staining over the winter!
    Should I be worried?
    Should I reopen the pool now, completely drain and refill and reclose with poly algecide?
    What if I just wait til the spring and reopen then?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    (First year TFP/BBB method following advice from this forum - was a great summer!)
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool closer ran amuck with copper algecide

32 oz, do you know what % copper the algeacide is? If so we can figure out what the copper level is now, and predict if it's high enough to cause problems.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the bottle was labeled "51.6% ethanolamine complex, equivalent to 7.41% elemental copper."
    So, I think they added 0.62 ppm copper.
    Danger zone for copper staining over the winter??????

Thanks,
    Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the bottle was labeled "51.6% ethanolamine complex, equivalent to 7.41% elemental copper."
    So, for a 30k gal pool, I think they added 0.62 ppm copper.
    Danger zone for copper staining over the winter??????
    Is it worth reopening and draining now?

Thanks,
    Steve
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just keep pH under control. Higher is the pH bigger the risk of staining the surface. Best if you lower the pH in the 7.2 - 7.5 interval. Did he lower the water level? If yes the spring opening will dilute the copper concentration. Some copper will be lost in winter together with the dead algae and some more will be lost in backwashing in the next summer. Risk of stains is spall if copper concentration is smaller than 0.5ppm. You are close to the safe limit.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.