Chosing a Replacement IG Pool Filter = Advice Needed

Jun 26, 2014
Newark, DE
Hello! When the pool company closed my pool this year, they found the inside top of my filter had cracked. I currently have a Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter - same filter that was there when I bought the house about 13 years ago. The company said that because of the cost to replace the entire top of the filter (including the fingers and the bump handle, etc), I should just buy a new one. Which is fine but my question is should I purchase another of the same type? Taking the filter apart to clean the fingers, etc is a little difficult for me. I don't mind backwashing, but I don't always get all the used DE out so the filter does need to be opened up and cleaned a couple times a year. So I was considering purchasing a cartridge filter. The pool company said they do not deal in Haywards anymore, that they would install a Pentair (which is the brand chlorinator they put on earlier this year). So may question is this - is a cartridge filter significantly easier to clean and care for? The Hayward DE filter has always done a great job, and other than being a pain to take apart, I've been very happy with it. Are Pentair filters the same quality as Haywards?
Thank you all for any info you can give me.

Bobbi
21,815 gallons IG vinyl liner
Hayward Perflex EC 65 DE filter
Pentair Chlorinator
Hayward Pump

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Filter types are personal preference they all have pluses and minuses. Read this to start: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

The easiest is a sand filter.
I would think that cleaning the cartridge would be more work than spraying off the fingers.

As far as sizes. Here are the minimum sizes I would suggest:
sand: 26" diameter
cartridge: 300 sqft
DE: 60 sqft (not counting the Perflex which can be smaller)

Thank you for the info! I read the filter comparisons, which makes me lean even farther toward getting another DE filter. But with my current filter, I have problems putting the filter back together again after I've cleaned it. I always seem to not get the bolts on tight enough, which causes air issues, etc. I was just wondering if removing a cartridge and putting it back was "easier" or does that also require a lot of unfastening and refastening bolts, etc.

What are your thoughts on the Pentair filters? I am a creature of habit and I almost just want to get the same exact filter that I have again.... but the pool company says that there are much better filters out there now.

Thank you again for the help and info!
Bobbi
21,815 gallons IG vinyl liner
Hayward Perflex EC 65 DE filter
Pentair Chlorinator
Hayward Pump

I have no experience with Pentair filters or the Perflex type. I have only had Hayward Progrid DE filters.

There is nothing wrong with the Perflex, they are less maintenance than a grid DE filter because you do not have to backwash every time the pressure rises.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.