Cloudy Water

Why no vacuum (just curious)?

Couldn't you use a leaf rake/net to scoop some of that organic debris out of the pool? Organic junk in the water increases chlorine consumption, although I don't know if it would use up as much as you are seeing (from FC 7 to FC 5 overnight).

Since you basically have no filtration at the moment, seems the best you can do, for now, is to remove larger stuff manually, keep the water moving, and watch chlorine levels closely. If your FC dropped from 7 to 5 overnight, it sounds like a SLAM may be in your future. I don't know if there are different rules for that with almost-new plaster...

By leaf rake, I mean a device for the pool (not a lawn rake, in case there is some confusion). Like this, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VLB6NY/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think you can get these with a fairly soft leading edge -- shouldn't be worse for the plaster than brushing it, which you are already doing frequently. I'm no expert (see the pool in my signature) on maintenance of a new plaster pool, but I think removing bulk organics is important in keeping any size pool clean. This is especially true when you have bad filtration (as you currently do).

Maybe the pump will restart, on a lower setting, once it has had time to cool off? Replacing GFCI breaker with a non-GFCI one sounds like a very lazy approach to diagnosing your pump issue -- no diagnosis at all, just a patch, and a patch that ignores safety issues at that. I hope the PB will take care of these issues soon for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In case your PB will allow it, my re-plaster guy said it was OK to use the small triangular shaped vacuum heads meant for vinyl pools. They don't have wheels, which I think are the big concern with standard vacuum heads. Instead they have brushes that skirt the 3 sides of the head and keep it stood off the plaster to prevent any marking.

Shut off the breaker and remove the basket lid. Feel around the impeller and see if there is a twig or anything caught in it. More then likely it's a bad board and will be covered under warranty. Mine was and Pentair did a great job of swapping it out so even if your PB doesn't take care of this I bet Pentair will.

Backwash filter. Run on low speed if it can get past initial ramp up at high speed. Even a plugged filter shouldn't cause it to over current on such a low speed as the amp draw would be around 2.

It's been running since day 1 (3 weeks now) without DE since startup (pool startup tech messed up on that) and is probably gunked up with plaster dust and all the other dirt particles that make it's way into the drain as I have no vacuum yet. I haven't bothered opening it up yet because PB had the wrong filter installed to begin with and it's being replaced tomorrow.

Be sure to get DE in your new filter ASAP. Running a DE filter without DE will clog and ruin the grids. In the early years of pool ownership, I forgot to put DE in my filter after a complete cleaning. Within a couple of weeks it had clogged and could not be backwashed. There were even a few cuts in the grids. They were ruined and ineffective. It was an expensive lesson. I've learned to never forget the DE and it goes in right away. I'm thinking a full set of grids cost me about $200 and that was late 80's or early 90's. They are probably more these days.

DE filters are awesome. The DE holds all the particulate matter. The grids hold the DE and it washes off very easy.

Taking control and responsibility for your own pool chemistry and associated pool equipment is the best thing a pool owner can do. There used to be a long learning curve for new pool owners who wanted to properly maintain their pool, but thanks to the Internet, collective knowledge of experienced long term pool owners, and forums such as this, the opportunity is there to quickly decide the right way to handle things yourself and gain the knowledge to know when the so-called professionals are not providing all the information to prevent future problems.

I commend you for being pro-active. I also realize that not everyone will get that involved and there will always be the need for good professionals.

There may be a time, several years from now, when you no longer care to do ALL the work yourself, but if that is the way it ends up, you will at least know what is the right way and know when you are getting bad information. :). Awesome job!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.