New pool guy

Oct 13, 2014
Oklahoma City, Ok
Hi i am about to close on my first home and it has a pool, I have never owned a pool and know nothing about how to take care of it properly and i do not want to pay thousands of dollars to somebody that is a "Pool Expert". With that being said there are some repairs that needs to be done to the equipment as far as I know the pump works but needs a new strainer basket the pump is a 1hp pentair challenger and i was wondering if it is better to spend the money to buy a energy efficiency pool pump or to just go with what i have? Thank you so much for your responses and expertise. NEW POOL GUY!! :D

Welcome to TFP!

That depends on your electrical rates. If electricity costs $0.20/kwh or more, a new pump is probably worth it. However, given where you live, I kind of doubt that electricity costs that much. At lower electrical rates, it isn't generally worth replacing a (mostly) working pump. Strainer baskets are fairly easy to replace. Most of the work is figuring out the correct part number. Often the part number is stamped right on the old basket.

I agree with Jason. Your rates are close to $0.10 per kWh, so a new pump will not be worth it. However, when your motor eventually dies, it would be worth it to replace with a two speed motor.

Take some time to read the articles in Pool School. Welcome to Trouble Free Pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.