Covered pergola or cover patio

Afluv

Jun 21, 2014
Frisco, Tx
Trying to decide which to go with. Any suggestions? Price will be about the same since the pergola will be larger due to build line requirements for shingled patio covers. Larger fully covered pergola vs smaller shingled patio cover. Both would be attached to the house. I'd leak proof the pergola with the pollygal stuff on top of tongue and groove cedar planks. Facia board would cover the serpentine edge around the tanning ledge.

I have to make a decision shortly to put footings in with decking.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

0197e127bec514dea0661d67184a20e2.jpg

Both sound good to me! I'm a fan of pergolas rather than the shingled extension...seems like it would look nicer; less like an awkward addition to a porch. Please post the designs if you can!

Are you sure the pergola is not subject to the same build line restrictions? Here they are...it is a "structure", which must be X feet from the property line.

Thanks. I am leaning towards the pergola. To your question no the attached pergola is treated differently with regards to the build line. I can go past the build line. However it is treated the same with regard to the property line. I can't get any closer than 10 feet to the fence.

I have to tell you we put in the solid shingled cover when we put in our pool. It was the best money we spent. It gives us shade and we can sit out here even if it raining. We installed to ceiling fans with lights, absolutely love it.

Could you please post a picture of this? We are grappling with how to solve our problem with our yard and shade. I hate what it looks like now. We need ideas!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I am leaning towards the pergola. To your question no the attached pergola is treated differently with regards to the build line. I can go past the build line. However it is treated the same with regard to the property line. I can't get any closer than 10 feet to the fence.

I live in the same city as you (howdy neighbor), and when I built my attached pergola eight years ago the outer post had to be at least 20 feet from my property line. I just looked up the current building codes and it looks like they changed it to 10 feet (as you mentioned). Considering all the neighborhoods in Frisco with giant houses on tiny lots, this is probably a wise change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.