Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covered pergola or cover patio

1. Back To Top    #1

Covered pergola or cover patio

Trying to decide which to go with. Any suggestions? Price will be about the same since the pergola will be larger due to build line requirements for shingled patio covers. Larger fully covered pergola vs smaller shingled patio cover. Both would be attached to the house. I'd leak proof the pergola with the pollygal stuff on top of tongue and groove cedar planks. Facia board would cover the serpentine edge around the tanning ledge.

I have to make a decision shortly to put footings in with decking.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

39 x 16 freeform in-ground gunite, QuartzBrite Midnight Blue finish, 3.5 x 5 x 7, 21,435 gal, 18" elevated spa 8' diameter, 2 Hp Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVGR pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 320 In-line chlorinator, Paramount O3 Ozonator, ScreenLogic II Controller, Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Covered pergola or cover patio

Both sound good to me! I'm a fan of pergolas rather than the shingled extension...seems like it would look nicer; less like an awkward addition to a porch. Please post the designs if you can!

Are you sure the pergola is not subject to the same build line restrictions? Here they are...it is a "structure", which must be X feet from the property line.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I am leaning towards the pergola. To your question no the attached pergola is treated differently with regards to the build line. I can go past the build line. However it is treated the same with regard to the property line. I can't get any closer than 10 feet to the fence.
    39 x 16 freeform in-ground gunite, QuartzBrite Midnight Blue finish, 3.5 x 5 x 7, 21,435 gal, 18" elevated spa 8' diameter, 2 Hp Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVGR pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 320 In-line chlorinator, Paramount O3 Ozonator, ScreenLogic II Controller, Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to tell you we put in the solid shingled cover when we put in our pool. It was the best money we spent. It gives us shade and we can sit out here even if it raining. We installed to ceiling fans with lights, absolutely love it.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

5. Back To Top    #5

For me, it depends on the direction of your yard. East facing, covered patio. West facing, pergola. Why? Don't want heat trapped under a west facing covered patio.
    Ft Worth, Tx. Old(no idea what year) fiberglass BG pool. 10x25. 2.5-5 ft deep. Sand Filter(Zeolite). 1hp pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Covered patio for us, allows us to sit outside during rain.

7. Back To Top    #7

My covered Pergola. Smoked Polycarbonate panels from Sundance Supply.Backyard.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Dang...now that is SHARP...I hope BH doesn't see this, or I will have a summer project Grrrrr

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Readyforapool View Post
    I have to tell you we put in the solid shingled cover when we put in our pool. It was the best money we spent. It gives us shade and we can sit out here even if it raining. We installed to ceiling fans with lights, absolutely love it.
    Could you please post a picture of this? We are grappling with how to solve our problem with our yard and shade. I hate what it looks like now. We need ideas!
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LMAC View Post
    My covered Pergola. Smoked Polycarbonate panels from Sundance Supply.Backyard.jpg
    This is really nice looking! Great solution - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Afluv View Post
    Thanks. I am leaning towards the pergola. To your question no the attached pergola is treated differently with regards to the build line. I can go past the build line. However it is treated the same with regard to the property line. I can't get any closer than 10 feet to the fence.
    I live in the same city as you (howdy neighbor), and when I built my attached pergola eight years ago the outer post had to be at least 20 feet from my property line. I just looked up the current building codes and it looks like they changed it to 10 feet (as you mentioned). Considering all the neighborhoods in Frisco with giant houses on tiny lots, this is probably a wise change.
    Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

12. Back To Top    #12

It has a solid peaked roof.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill