New DIY Pool is GREEN should I clean or close? Is getting cold here.

Jul 15, 2014
Wise, VA
Ok so here is my issue, we have been building this pool in our spare time since Aug. We finally have it full and it has rained everyday for two weeks so we have been stalled on finishing up the concrete work. We have a super muddy mess! My questions is this my water is green and very cloudy! So should I try to clear it up before closing or would I just be waiting my time? It is starting to get cold here and as soon as we get the concrete finished we plan to close and put the safety cover on. So what do you suggest? ALL help is greatly appreciated since I don't even no where to begin. I have a k-2006 and a auto stirrer on the way. I have put some bleach in over the past few weeks but that's it. PLEASE HELP!

Good that you're getting that k-2006 test kit. You might consider getting a bigger bottle of the r-0871 as i see a SLAM in your future. And maybe some r-0013 as well. I have a feeling you might not have any cya in your pool? Have you been getting your water tested anywhere? Even test strips would be better than nothing. As long as your water temp is above 50, getting rid of your problem will save a lot of time and effort when you open it next spring. Run a full battery of tests when you get your test kit, including a test of your fill water. Post the results here to enable us to give you a better answer to your questions. Read everything in pool school. And explore how to use pool math.

Ok, so I found my kit on the front porch must have been delivered yesterday. Here are my test results:

5.2 ppm FC
0.4 ppm CC
7.0 PH
40 TA
30 ppm CH
I was not able to get the CYA test to turn cloudy so I could not get a reading on this test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.