Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New DIY Pool is GREEN should I clean or close? Is getting cold here.

1. Back To Top    #1

New DIY Pool is GREEN should I clean or close? Is getting cold here.

Ok so here is my issue, we have been building this pool in our spare time since Aug. We finally have it full and it has rained everyday for two weeks so we have been stalled on finishing up the concrete work. We have a super muddy mess! My questions is this my water is green and very cloudy! So should I try to clear it up before closing or would I just be waiting my time? It is starting to get cold here and as soon as we get the concrete finished we plan to close and put the safety cover on. So what do you suggest? ALL help is greatly appreciated since I don't even no where to begin. I have a k-2006 and a auto stirrer on the way. I have put some bleach in over the past few weeks but that's it. PLEASE HELP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New DIY Pool is GREEN should I clean or close? Is getting cold here.

It will take time no matter when you do it. I think your best bet is to perform the SLAM when you can dedicate some time to it. If you can devote 2-3 serious days, do it now. If not, wait til spring, and plan out a couple days you can set aside then.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Good that you're getting that k-2006 test kit. You might consider getting a bigger bottle of the r-0871 as i see a SLAM in your future. And maybe some r-0013 as well. I have a feeling you might not have any cya in your pool? Have you been getting your water tested anywhere? Even test strips would be better than nothing. As long as your water temp is above 50, getting rid of your problem will save a lot of time and effort when you open it next spring. Run a full battery of tests when you get your test kit, including a test of your fill water. Post the results here to enable us to give you a better answer to your questions. Read everything in pool school. And explore how to use pool math.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I realized my post may have not been clear enough. You need 2-3 days to dedicate at the beginning of the process. The entire process start to finish will likely take 2 weeks (-ish).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I found my kit on the front porch must have been delivered yesterday. Here are my test results:

5.2 ppm FC
    0.4 ppm CC
    7.0 PH
    40 TA
    30 ppm CH
    I was not able to get the CYA test to turn cloudy so I could not get a reading on this test.
    16x36 Inground Vinyl Liner
    1.5 HP Hayward Pump & Hayward Cartridge Filter
    Intermatic Pool Timer
    Polaris 360 Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit w/ Speedstirrer

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not surprised you have no cya. Have you tested your fill water? You will need to add some cya to get you to 30ppm initially then 50 once you complete the slam. Oh, and use the 10ml sample for fc/cc testing.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

By fill water do you mean the water from the hose? Also how do I raise the CYA? Thanks for you help!
    16x36 Inground Vinyl Liner
    1.5 HP Hayward Pump & Hayward Cartridge Filter
    Intermatic Pool Timer
    Polaris 360 Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit w/ Speedstirrer

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes the water from the hose. Cya is also called Stabilizer or conditioner. I got mine from Walmart -- put it in a sock and in your skimmer or hang it in front of a return. Squeeze it often to quicken the dissolve process.

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA = cyanuric acid -- so you know what to look for on the label, down in the fine print where ingredients are listed.

Do you know what your current water temperature is?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits