Upgrading Pump Station Pool & Spa, 20+ yrs old

SansR

Sep 27, 2014
North Florida
Ready to bring my 20 yr old system into the modern world and would like some advice on both equipment selection and design. Looking to bring the pool and spa together in one pump.

Proposed for a 17,000 gallon pool with an 800 gallon spa:

Pump: Pentair Intelliflo VS variable speed pump (3 hp?) (our electric rates are relatively high)
Heater: Rheem M206A (existing unit and planning to keep it)
Controller: Pentair SunTouch (Should I step up to an Intellitouch? Don't need lights or water feature automation)
Filter: Thinking cartridge type filter as that is what we've had - would like recommendations (Pentair 150?)
Chlorinator: Pentair Intelichlor IC40

Other considerations:
1. Heater needs to service spa only (Florida weather)
2. Would like to return some water to spa when pool system is running to create a waterfall transfer / ongoing circulation
3. Current cleaner is a Polaris 380 (can I integrate without a booster pump?)
4. Have I missed an opportunity to upgrade some other facet of my system at this juncture that will be difficult to execute later?
5. Spa also have a vintage blower currently installed that will need to go - what replaces this system?

All advice is appreciated.

Hi SansR,
I noticed your pool/spa is very similar to mine. I am also doing an upgrade to my 20 year old system and going to a more automated system w/out the lights and water features etc.
You should follow my thread as well ('updating equipment, need advice'). I will surely be following yours.
Good luck!
Bryan

Hi Bryan,
Yes I'm following your thread also. Projects do have many similarities. Its hard to make sense out of replacing any component without addressing the age of all the rest. Becomes much less of a 'remodel' when you can upgrade the whole pump station. Good luck with your project as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.