Push/Pull Backwash Valve Warning

zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
I was watching this video about cleaning the Pentair Quad DE filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aoP-eTpiMs&list=PLD13B4EF8AB358B02&index=17

And noticed at 3:05 there is a huge warning about the push/pull valve destroying the cartridges. I actually have one of those, and it's actually one of the approved valves in the manual itself. Is there any legitimacy to this claim that it will destroy the cartridges?

In the Pentair manual they are specific about which slide valves you can use with their filter. If you have one of the exact, part number matching slide valves specified in the manual you should be OK. I'm guessing an older or different part number allows too much volume and or pressure to pass through to the cartridges and that's were you run into a problem with them being damaged.

From the Pentair manual:

CAUTION — The Pentair Quad D.E. filter has a different water flow pattern than all other Pentair D.E. filters. When plumbing the filter with a backwash valve, one of the following valves, listed below, must be used. Failure to use the correct backwash valve could damage the filter elements and void the warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.