Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Push/Pull Backwash Valve Warning

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex, TX

Push/Pull Backwash Valve Warning

I was watching this video about cleaning the Pentair Quad DE filter:

And noticed at 3:05 there is a huge warning about the push/pull valve destroying the cartridges. I actually have one of those, and it's actually one of the approved valves in the manual itself. Is there any legitimacy to this claim that it will destroy the cartridges?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Push/Pull Backwash Valve Warning

In the Pentair manual they are specific about which slide valves you can use with their filter. If you have one of the exact, part number matching slide valves specified in the manual you should be OK. I'm guessing an older or different part number allows too much volume and or pressure to pass through to the cartridges and that's were you run into a problem with them being damaged.

From the Pentair manual:

CAUTION — The Pentair Quad D.E. filter has a different water flow pattern than all other Pentair D.E. filters. When plumbing the filter with a backwash valve, one of the following valves, listed below, must be used. Failure to use the correct backwash valve could damage the filter elements and void the warranty.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!