Should I buy a new pump?

expo

Aug 30, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I bought my home a few months ago. The pump seems to work ok and did not think anything about it till I went to my brother-in-laws house and you could barely hear his pump. Mine is loud. It has that "bearings are dry" sound.

My main concern is if I would save electricity with a new pump. Here is a pic of the pump:

Here is a not great video of the sound.

[video]http://videobam.com/yXvPp[/video]

Thanks

You would save a considerable amount on electricity if you switch to a 2 speed pump, on low speed it will pump 1/2 as much water as on high at 1/4 the amount of electricity. Usually high speed is only needed for vacuuming, backwashing, etc.

The suction cleaner may not run very well on low speed, so you may want a timer to allow your pump to run on high speed for 1-2 hours a day and then low the rest that you need.

You could get by with just replacing the motor on your existing pump with a 2-speed version.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.