Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I buy a new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I buy a new pump?

I bought my home a few months ago. The pump seems to work ok and did not think anything about it till I went to my brother-in-laws house and you could barely hear his pump. Mine is loud. It has that "bearings are dry" sound.

My main concern is if I would save electricity with a new pump. Here is a pic of the pump:

Here is a not great video of the sound.

http://videobam.com/yXvPp

Thanks
    18,000 - IG - Vinyl lined less than a year - 1.5hp Hayward pump - Hayward AQR15 AquaRite Salt Chlorination System - Taylor K2006 Test Kit - Kreepy Krawly Great While keeping the bottom clean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I buy a new pump?

You would save a considerable amount on electricity if you switch to a 2 speed pump, on low speed it will pump 1/2 as much water as on high at 1/4 the amount of electricity. Usually high speed is only needed for vacuuming, backwashing, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    You would save a considerable amount on electricity if you switch to a 2 speed pump, on low speed it will pump 1/2 as much water as on high at 1/4 the amount of electricity. Usually high speed is only needed for vacuuming, backwashing, etc.
    I run a kreepy krawly. does that make a difference?
    Last edited by expo; 10-11-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    18,000 - IG - Vinyl lined less than a year - 1.5hp Hayward pump - Hayward AQR15 AquaRite Salt Chlorination System - Taylor K2006 Test Kit - Kreepy Krawly Great While keeping the bottom clean

4. Back To Top    #4

The suction cleaner may not run very well on low speed, so you may want a timer to allow your pump to run on high speed for 1-2 hours a day and then low the rest that you need.

You could get by with just replacing the motor on your existing pump with a 2-speed version.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!