Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Valve to bypass Heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

No Valve to bypass Heater?

PB installed heat pump without any type of bypass for it... is that normal? Seems like a major disadvantage to me.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Valve to bypass Heater?

Yes, that is very common. A heater bypass is nice to have sometimes, but only if you are familiar with how and why you would want to use it, which most people are not.

Many heaters have internal automatic bypass setups. While the typical internal bypass is not as energy efficient as an external bypass, it does help a fair bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

At the very least I imagine that if I were to go on vacation I would want to bypass it in case the pump fails while I am gone for some reason and the pool does not get enough chlorine (from liquidator). If the chemicals are unbalanced it could damage the heating elements even if the heater is off, correct?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no real possibility of the kind of risk you are talking about. Most heat pumps have titanium heat exchangers, in which case chemistry essentially makes no difference to the heater at all. And even if it doesn't have titanium, the only significant risk is from very low PH (which is quite unlikely to happen in the scenario you describe).

The only significant advantage of a bypass is improving energy efficiency when the heater is not in use, and being able to do a no drain acid wash (which doesn't come up very often and isn't ever needed if you maintain the chemistry correctly to begin with).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool, thanks Jason.