Polaris 280 Backup Valve Cycle Time

Jun 14, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi, I have a Polaris 280 that's about 18 months old. I have problems with tangling of the hose sometimes and it is generally due to the backup valve pulling the unit along the side of the pool and then hanging on the hose connection/outlet. I've made several adjustments to the floats and swivels to minimize it, but it still happens occasionally.

Just last week at was at my father's house and he has a much older Polaris 280 (several years old). His backup valve only pulls back for about 15 seconds vs mine that reverses for close to a minute. It appears that neither unit is adjustable.

My question is whether anyone knows if the timing on the reverse valve has changed over time and if it is possible to disassemble it and adjust it manually. If I could reduce the time, it would work much better for my pool. Thanks!

All I can tell you is mine must have a sensor because right as its getting to the last bit of debris in the pool the stupid valve takes off and drags it for a good 30 seconds. Then it takes another half hour to fart around and get there again. If I didn't inherit this dumb thing with the pool I would have a robot. Same money, takes much less time, doesn't do stupid stuff.

there is a "double acting" back up valve kit available. but first i would consider the following. make sure the hose is cut to the correct length, from the wall fitting to the furthermost point of the pool +/- 6". if the hose is to long then the "leader hose" (hose connected to cleaner) should be cut to the depth of the pool (remove the off cut from the swivel end and not the cleaner but also make sure you do not remove too much to make the total hose too short), if you still have extra hose then remove equal amounts from hose 1 and hose 2 (at the first swivel from pool wall) , check your pressure and set to 28 rpms which will equal 28psi (adjusted at the wall fitting), adjust the float behind the back up valve away approx 12 - 18" from the back up valve (the closer the float is the higher the cleaner will lift towards the pool surface, the further away the cleaner will be pulled along the pool floor.

malcolmb - thanks, sorry for the delay, I have been offline for a while. I have tried all of the things you mentioned regarding the hose. I have tried multiple float placements, added extra swivels, etc. Last winter (first winter of pool operation) I had a big problem with tangling, cleaner hanging on the hose near the outlet/connector, etc. and have seemed to solve most of those problems. Now my main problem is when the backup valve comes on, as I mentioned it runs too long and it doesn't pull straight, but tends to pull the cleaner in a clockwise circle, which then ends up pulling the hose on top of itself. I will check on the "double acting" back up valve - thanks.

can also try rotating the backup valve so the jet stream is at 12 or 6 o'clock.
What is the reference for degrees? Ie 6-12 o’clock from where? I’ve come to the conclusion that after fixing absolutely everything else that the jet is shooting water at pool level too much and needs to be repositioned so that the jet is underwater more or spraying underwater more. When you’re looking down the hose at the Polaris where do you think the jet should face?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.