Updating equipment, need advice please

Jun 9, 2008
Oshkosh/WI
Hi fellow pool folks,
We are about to replace all the equipment pushing H2O thru our 16K gal inground pool and 700 gal hot tub.
The local pool center is proposing the following Pentair equipment:
Pump: Intelliflo VS 3hp
Heater: Mastertemp 250K btu nat gas
Controller: Easytouch 4SC-IC 40 2 actrs (w/ SWG - will be a new thing for us...)
Filter: Tagelus 24 TA60D sand filter
3-port 180 valve actr

I have always lurked here over the past years learning how to manage my pool and know what a wealth of knowledge there is here - so I am hoping someone can comment on this stuff before pulling the trigger. What are the alternatives etc.?

Our old stuff is probably 20+ years old. It came with the house when we bought it back in 2000.

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

Bryan
Wisconsin

I would go up to a TA100D filter and a 400,000 BTU heater (if your gas connection can handle it). Neither is required by any means, but the larger filter will go longer between backwashes, and the larger heater will heat the pool more quickly using the same amount of gas. Both are very nice features, though also a bit more money.

Depending on what your electrical rates are, the variable speed pump may not ever pay for its self. Generally electricity needs to be $0.20/kwh or more before there is any hope of a large variable speed paying for it's self. At electrical rates below that you are generally better off with a two speed pump. Of course the variable speed does let you dial in the exact amount of jet action you want in the spa.

Interesting input on the pump - I will definitely look into that option. These are just the sort of suggestions I was hoping for!

So is the Easytouch + IntelliChlor with a 2-speed pump a good setup - assuming the variable speed is overkill for our system?

OK - thanks Jasonlion!
I keep leaning towards the VS pump for some reason...
So now I further muddied the water by looking at the Pentair Suntouch vs the Easytouch.
I will likely be using an IC40 BTW. Will the Suntouch be a better fit for my 'simple' system (no lights to automate etc.)?

The largest difference between the SunTouch and the EasyTouch is that EasyTouch is available with an electrical sub-panel (the place where all of the circuit breakers live). The EasyTouch also has a few more features and a fair bit more expandability. If you need an electrical sub-panel near the pool, the EasyTouch is probably worth getting. For a simple setup the other differences are unlikely to be significant unless you are thinking of adding additional functions in the future.

All of my equipment resides in the basement. We are in Wisconsin BTW. The pool and spa breakers are in the main electrical panel which is also in the basement.
We run the spa all year and run the pool May thru Sept.
There are no bell and whistles. No lights - they just attract bugs for us. No waterfalls or fountains etc. No plans for these either. We want it all simple and reliable with ease of use. I am sick of running up and down the basement stairs turning the pump on and off. The store runs for bleach are also getting old.
Our pool/spa area has some large messy trees nearby and it is a constant battle keeping it clean. We use a 'stand alone' pool robot several times a week to keep it vacuumed.
We do have an air pump thingy for the spa and would like to have decent jet power in the spa.
I still have so many questions that I don't really know where to start. I am a mechanical engineer by profession so I tend to overthink stuff - especially a project like this.
My thanks to all - especially JasonLion. You seem to really be experiences with this! If you ever need something drawn up in 3D cad - please pm me!
Bryan

I am also doing alot of head-scratching about the heater choices. The big factor is that my current heaters are in the basement and vent up an old brick chimney. This is 'corroding' the interior masonry of the chimney according to a couple of chimney sweeps. They want big $$ to sleeve this chimney. Since this chimney is not used for anything else but venting the pool/spa heater, I would like to vent the new heater thru the wall.
I am assuming I need a powered/forced exhaust vent system.

The other thing is heater choice. From my research it seems Raypak gets great reviews.
Also, with the SWG system is it worth the extra $$ to go with the cupro-nickel?
Any input is appreciated!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recommend Raypak, though there are other good choices as well.

I believe that in most places only the super high efficiency heaters can vent below a few feet above the roof (i.e. through the wall). Those are rather rare. I don't think Raypak makes one.

There is no point in getting a cupro-nickel heat exchanger unless you are using ocean water. Salt at the usual SWG levels is not a problem for regular copper heat exchangers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.