Board loses power is lost when pump turns on

Mo1074

Mar 5, 2014
Miami
Hi Everyone,

My apologies if this post should be somewhere else or if it is repeated, I read several posts and could not find my answer.

I have a t-15 cell on a 10K pool, hayward goldline board. The pump is usually on idle, then when it turns on the salt generator control board will make a clicking noise then all lights go out within few seconds.

I appreciate your help in telling me what the problem could be.

To clarify, does this happen immediately when the pump turns on or about 60 seconds after the pump turns on? Which Goldline unit do you have? (e.g. AquaLogic, Aquarite, ..)

I suspect voltage drop on the power wire. If the voltage drops too low the SWG will shutdown completely. You can confirm by measuring the voltage at the SWG both when the pump is off and again when the pump is running.

mas985
it is goldline aquarite

JasonLion
How can I measure the voltage?

last weekend the pool store tested the water and chlorine came at 0, so i set the board at 100% and been running it for about 6 hours
i added 1.5 gallons to the 10K pool on Thursday morning as well, thinking when the board shuts off like that it is not generating or may be the cell itself is done. when the board has power it blinks inspect cell all the time. The cell was cleaned two weeks ago so i don't think it is cleaning issue. The pool store today inspected the cell and it is working fine, also the water sample came with 6.0 chlorine level, not sure that 1.5 gallons of chlorine on Thursday on the 10K pool could raise it that high in the south Florida heat.

now i need to return the T3 cell i bought from Amazon

To clarify, does this happen immediately when the pump turns on or about 60 seconds after the pump turns on?
What about the first question?

Also, when the lights come back on, does the unit report that the cell is generating or are there any other alarms?

What does running on idle mean to you? Either a pump is running or it is not. Idle means off to me so I am confused by your original statement:

The pump is usually on idle, then when it turns on the salt generator control board will make a clicking noise then all lights go out within few seconds.
That implies that the pump was off and then when it turns on and the SWG turns on, it has this problem. So can you be more specific about exactly what is happening?

let me try it this way, the pump is running at a very low speed, water is always circulating in the pool, it is not completely off, when I check the board the power light indicator is on, the generating light is on, Once the pump is working at full speed as the timer kicks it to on, or I manually switch it to on, the board clicks once and all lights on the board go off as well as the display screen.

Cannot explain it any better so apologies if it does not make sense to you.

So this only occurs when the pump is on high speed?

But let me see if I understand this:

1) Pump is running on low

2) SWG comes on and everything works ok

3) Pump switches to high speed

4) SWG comes on and board dims/clicks

Did you ever check the voltage as Jason suggested? You need a voltage tester.

I had the pool store send someone to check the board, they said the electric connections are fine and that i need a new board, suggested a new system.
will try and get a second opinion or may be have an electrician check it out. Currently adding liquid chlorine to the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.