Help! Pump abruptly stopped working

Aug 21, 2014
Austin, TX
I have a Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump that abruptly stopped working this evening. I was outside cleaning leaves out of the pool and everything was running fine, then it just stopped. I went to look at the control panel and it has an error on it that says: Drive Error! Pump has stalled.

I switched off the main control panel then back on, but same error. I then drained the pump and used a light and inspection mirror to look into the housing and impeller as best I could but didn't see any obstructions.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before? I'd like any available input before I call a repair outfit and get stuck with a ridiculous bill.

Could be something interfering with the impeller.

That was my initial thought. I drained the pump and used an inspection mirror to look inside the impeller housing but didn't see anything.

In that thread you linked to, his problem wasn't resolved until the pump was replaced - with a possible motor winding as the culprit since the motor drive was replaced twice to no avail. I'm worried that I've had a winding failure in the motor at this point. It's also a bit interesting that the individual who had the problem with his Hayward Ecostar is only a few miles away from me.

You cannot inspect the seal without disassembling the pump from the housing. Something worth doing before proceeding.

It turned out to be the motor drive had failed (I'm guessing the PWM control in the inverter). Thankfully, Hayward stood behind their product and replaced the drive under warranty even though I'm the second owner. I just had to pay the service call for installation by an authorized tech. It took a little prodding when I was on the phone with Hayward, but I really can't complain in the end. Otherwise, just the drive would have been $1000 when I could buy the whole pump off Amazon for $900! Go figure. :scratch:

One of the downsides of a VS.

Also, do you have pump power on surge protection? Lightning strikes and/or surges to the power grid can cause drive failures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.