Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Pump abruptly stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Pump abruptly stopped working

I have a Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump that abruptly stopped working this evening. I was outside cleaning leaves out of the pool and everything was running fine, then it just stopped. I went to look at the control panel and it has an error on it that says: Drive Error! Pump has stalled.

I switched off the main control panel then back on, but same error. I then drained the pump and used a light and inspection mirror to look into the housing and impeller as best I could but didn't see any obstructions.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before? I'd like any available input before I call a repair outfit and get stuck with a ridiculous bill.
    14,000 gallon IG gunnite with round spa and overflow, Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP variable speed pump, Blue Haven (Hayward) 450 series quad cartridge filter
    Rainbow Lifeguard Model 320 auto-chlorinator, Aqualink RS8 control module, Polaris 360, Laars Lite heater NG heater, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help! Pump abruptly stopped working

I assume you checked to see that you have power at the pump, right?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I assume you checked to see that you have power at the pump, right?
    The motor drive control definitely has power, as that is where the LCD is located that is displaying the error message and it's attached directly to the pump itself. Also, the pump makes a sound as if the motor is trying to start.
    14,000 gallon IG gunnite with round spa and overflow, Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP variable speed pump, Blue Haven (Hayward) 450 series quad cartridge filter
    Rainbow Lifeguard Model 320 auto-chlorinator, Aqualink RS8 control module, Polaris 360, Laars Lite heater NG heater, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by goalie28 View Post
    Drive Error! Pump has stalled.
    Could be something interfering with the impeller. Check out this post:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...mp-Has-Stalled

EcoStars have had some seal issues in the past and if that is the problem it could be causing an extra load on the impeller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Could be something interfering with the impeller.
    That was my initial thought. I drained the pump and used an inspection mirror to look inside the impeller housing but didn't see anything.

In that thread you linked to, his problem wasn't resolved until the pump was replaced - with a possible motor winding as the culprit since the motor drive was replaced twice to no avail. I'm worried that I've had a winding failure in the motor at this point. It's also a bit interesting that the individual who had the problem with his Hayward Ecostar is only a few miles away from me.

6. Back To Top    #6

You cannot inspect the seal without disassembling the pump from the housing. Something worth doing before proceeding.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

It turned out to be the motor drive had failed (I'm guessing the PWM control in the inverter). Thankfully, Hayward stood behind their product and replaced the drive under warranty even though I'm the second owner. I just had to pay the service call for installation by an authorized tech. It took a little prodding when I was on the phone with Hayward, but I really can't complain in the end. Otherwise, just the drive would have been $1000 when I could buy the whole pump off Amazon for $900! Go figure.

8. Back To Top    #8

One of the downsides of a VS.

Also, do you have pump power on surge protection? Lightning strikes and/or surges to the power grid can cause drive failures.
    Mark