Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hydraulics of different diameters

1. Back To Top    #1

Hydraulics of different diameters

I have a hydraulics question.

1 orifice valve >>>>>>>>>> 1 pipe >>>>>>>>>> 1 orifice > atmosphere

1 orifice valve >>>>>>>>>> 2 pipe >>>>>>>>>> 1 orifice > atmosphere

1 orifice valve >>>>>>>>>> 12 pipe >>>>>>>>>> 1 orifice > atmosphere

What will happen to the pressure of each? I'm assuming the larger the pipe the higher the pressure.

What will happen to the flow of each? I'm assuming the larger the pipe the higher the flow.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hydraulics of different diameters

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.
    As the pipe gets larger, there is less resistance to the flow so the pressure in the pipe would be lower and the flow rate would go up (assuming fixed RPM pump).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The key point I'm interesting in is what will the 1" orifices do to the system.

Will larger pipe be useless because of the smaller orifices?

4. Back To Top    #4

Well the 1" orifices are certainly going to cause restriction and head loss. But the system as a whole would have lower head loss with the larger pipes.

A more realistic example would be using 2" pipe and fittings on the equipment pad will lower head loss and increase flow rate even if the suction and return lines to the pool are 1.5"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The head loss of a circular orifice is dependent on flow rate and size of the orifice. Not what is connected on the each end. However, the flow rate of the entire system is dependent on the total head loss of the plumbing and the pump connected to it.

So with the larger pipe, total head loss would go down, flow rate would go up so the head loss (pressure drop) in each orifice would go up. But absolute pressure in the pipe and orifices goes down because total head loss is lower even though the head loss in each orifice is now higher.

If you want to get into the weeds, you can read this: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/or...uri-d_590.html

But one thing to keep in mind is that when higher flow rates go through small orifices, it makes more noise. So while the smaller pipe might be very quiet because head loss is high and flow rates are low, the opposite is true for the larger pipe.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater