Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Service didn't drop water under returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Service didn't drop water under returns

Hi, I'm using a new pool service for our pool closing this year. When I've had my pool closed in the past, they drop the water below the returns so that they can blow the air out and then add the stoppers to the returns. The company I used this year didn't drop the water below the returns . Should I be concerned? The water is below the skimmer basket though.

Thanks!
    Patty
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Service didn't drop water under returns

Only concern, IMO, is that it makes the water level that much higher and you don't want it to reach the tile. I keep mine below the returns because I am paranoid the plugs will fall out of the returns and water will get in there and freeze. I have a tricky, angled return that is difficult to stay plugged. But I have read you don't have to have the water below the returns to blow out and close. I am sure some water would stay in the line but not much at all and definitely not enough to cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by patplh View Post
    Hi, I'm using a new pool service for our pool closing this year. When I've had my pool closed in the past, they drop the water below the returns so that they can blow the air out and then add the stoppers to the returns. The company I used this year didn't drop the water below the returns . Should I be concerned? The water is below the skimmer basket though.

Thanks!
    Patty

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. Our plugs are pretty secure, I think . No unusual angles here

4. Back To Top    #4

We use 1 1/2" threaded PVC plugs with o rings. I remove the entire return fitting and thread in the plug. Barring some very odd unforeseen circumstance it will not fail. But I have an autocover and cannot drop water below my returns. My biggest fear is that on the last return in line (farthest away from the pump) I use a one way valve, that could fail. Or the skimmer plug could fail, but I have a gizmo in there. And fill half way with antifreeze.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Have been in this crazy business for over thirty years and the only time we pump below the returns is when the home owner forgets to call and have the pool winterized. The fuller you keep the pool the less the chance of a liner floating or a fiberglass pool popping out of the ground.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    Have been in this crazy business for over thirty years and the only time we pump below the returns is when the home owner forgets to call and have the pool winterized. The fuller you keep the pool the less the chance of a liner floating or a fiberglass pool popping out of the ground.
    Why does it matter if they forget to call if you lower the water or not?
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

samt have you ever put your arm in 30 or 40 degree water when ambient air temp is in the 30s. Not very fun that is the point I was getting at.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

8. Back To Top    #8

I closed my pool today and lowered the water level about an inch below the returns. I blew out the lines from the pump and never felt any air or water come out of the returns and very little if any come out of the skimmer's. I also never saw any bubbles come up from the main drain. I was using a compresser blowing about 30psi. I am hoping I got all the water out. I poured anti freeze in both skimmers. Is there much to be concerned with here?

9. Back To Top    #9

samt have you ever put your arm in 30 or 40 degree water when ambient air temp is in the 30s. Not very fun that is the point I was getting at.
    Lol! It's not about the pool, it's about avoiding hyperthermia. Happy Winter to All.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

Water in the low 60's with ambient temps in the 50's is bad enough, thanks. I would pump it out too if the water was in the 40's.

I just worry about the crazy stuff happening, like a wet niche problem etc.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lrkey View Post
    I closed my pool today and lowered the water level about an inch below the returns. I blew out the lines from the pump and never felt any air or water come out of the returns and very little if any come out of the skimmer's. I also never saw any bubbles come up from the main drain. I was using a compresser blowing about 30psi. I am hoping I got all the water out. I poured anti freeze in both skimmers. Is there much to be concerned with here?
    U shoud be concerned compressor are garbage get a cyclone blower and everything will bubble