Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebblesheen

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebblesheen

So, what is the most popular color of pebblesheen in the mi-priced options? If you have pics, please post them up with the color name.

We'd like our pool to be more blue than aqua. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebblesheen

Welcome!

Out here in West Tx, dark Blues and near Blacks are all the rage, but we wanted light blue. We customized our own color by blending two and we love it. Ours is in Quartz, but no matter, same result as colors are concerned. Keep in mind that the very Blue and dark Blue finishes in all materials are much more expensive.

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Brushpup! We've seen and discussed the higher priced, darker shades of pebblesheen and decided to spend our money somewhere else. I was hoping to get a few pics of pools with pebblesheen/tec/quartz shades in the mid-priced range...ie, not the very dark or very light. Those little samples they show are just too tough to extrapolate to a full pool with water.

You have a really nice set-up!

4. Back To Top    #4

My wife and I have spent a lot of effort on exactly this topic over the last few months. We've spent countless hours online looking at samples and pics. We've visited several pools to see how the pebble/plaster coloring affects water color. Here is what we learned: There are many factors that impact water color, including pebble/plaster color, decking/coping color, reflection from house (house color), time of day, degree of cloudiness...and I'm beginning to think that moon phase and planetary alignment also have some non-trivial effects.

In the grand scheme of things, there are about 3 options for water color:
    1. Light Blue (white and light color finishes)
    2. Dark Blue & black @ night (black and dark color finishes)
    3. Greenish-blue (brown/tan color finishes)

The subtle differences within these 3 categories are more dictated by weather and pool surroundings. So I wouldn't overly stress about it. Decide which of the 3 general water colors you want and then let nature make it beautiful. Even though a lot of people (us included!) stress over this issue, think about this: Have you ever really seen an "ugly" water color as a result of bad plaster color selection? As long as the water is clean, the final result almost always looks perfect.

If I'm wrong, please let me know....we haven't gotten to plaster stage yet, so I can still change my mind on our color selection!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    My wife and I have spent a lot of effort on exactly this topic over the last few months. We've spent countless hours online looking at samples and pics. We've visited several pools to see how the pebble/plaster coloring affects water color. Here is what we learned: There are many factors that impact water color, including pebble/plaster color, decking/coping color, reflection from house (house color), time of day, degree of cloudiness...and I'm beginning to think that moon phase and planetary alignment also have some non-trivial effects.

In the grand scheme of things, there are about 3 options for water color:
    1. Light Blue (white and light color finishes)
    2. Dark Blue & black @ night (black and dark color finishes)
    3. Greenish-blue (brown/tan color finishes)

The subtle differences within these 3 categories are more dictated by weather and pool surroundings. So I wouldn't overly stress about it. Decide which of the 3 general water colors you want and then let nature make it beautiful. Even though a lot of people (us included!) stress over this issue, think about this: Have you ever really seen an "ugly" water color as a result of bad plaster color selection? As long as the water is clean, the final result almost always looks perfect.

If I'm wrong, please let me know....we haven't gotten to plaster stage yet, so I can still change my mind on our color selection!
    Well said, Jay!

How green is greenish-blue? Like clear river green (think Comal or Guadalupe)?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by eweberdc View Post
    Well said, Jay!

How green is greenish-blue? Like clear river green (think Comal or Guadalupe)?
    I don't think so. Rivers tend to have a lot of sediment stirred up, which really impact the optics. The sediment will absorb some light wave lengths and reflect others, so rivers always look greenish. Your pool shouldn't have sediment (I hope!).

Even though you're not going with Wet Edge Technologies for your pool, take a look at their web site. I think they do a better job of showing how pebble color affects water color. Here is a link to their NorthShore Gold color. The pool picture on this page shows the blue-green color I was referring to. If you have a lot of large trees (green) or darker color house reflecting into your water, it will be darker. Conversely, lighter color surroundings will lighten the color up a bit. I tend to like this color, even though it's not what we selected.
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is my blue granite pebblesheen as seen from a helicopter ... looks like a little cloudy day:

Ignore the horrendous DIY solar that the previous owner installed

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Not a light blue, but we went with Wet Edge Northshore Plum for a different look than most pools:

20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

9. Back To Top    #9

Well heck, Jay. Turns out I really prefer the darker colors, like Northshore Tahoe.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well heck, Jay. Turns out I really prefer the darker colors, like Northshore Tahoe.
    That's kind of where we ended up....although we chose Midnight Ocean color of Pearl Matrix (the bigger stones). Once you see the darker colors, it's hard to go back to the "traditional" ones.

11. Back To Top    #11

topaz. It was very blue at first, but as the blue plaster gradually rubbed away, it's not as vibrant.

10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

That's the color I picked for my pool. I really like it. Don't forget to get the mother of pearl added to it for extra sparkle.

~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner