Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Start of a Big Problem?!?!

1. Back To Top    #1

The Start of a Big Problem?!?!

So my pool was completed in July and just last week I noticed a crack in my paver coping. The gap in a section of my paver decking is a little wider and I have about an 18" long crack on one of my benches that extends up into the coping. I'm worried this problem goes much deeper than the plaster. The width isn't enough to even fit a dime...yet. I'm worried though that this runs through the Gunite. Any ideas? This was an owner builder pool. Everything was done through licensed contractors. The dig appeared to go fine, the rebar was done as "max steel". Is this just a common settling issue or the tip of the iceberg? Help please!

23,000 gallons, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, MasterTemp 400K heater, 2 VS Pentair Pumps, Clean and Clear 520, IC 40, Intellitouch, 2 Pentair Intellibrites in Pool and 1 in Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Start of a Big Problem?!?!

I would think that is an issue. You should not have cracks in your pool. IMHO
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Question: does the crack in the plaster sort of lines up with with crack in the coping paver? If it does then I would advice you contact pool service company asap as it you very well have a case of cracked she'll. If the plaster and coping don't line up / are in opposite ends of pool then it may not be a big deal...but I would still have an expect check it out.

One thing I would try is finding pictures of when pool prior to plaster and seeing if in that section you see the shell looking "iffy". Good luck!

4. Back To Top    #4

Some overall pictures would be helpful showing where these problems are.

I have no idea about the pebble tec but I suspect your deck pavers are pushing your coping around. More pictures would be good. Also look at your engineer's standard spec sheet. How dos it specify the coping and deck installation and did they follow the spec.

I would get the pebble tec rep, your plaster installer and the gunite sub out there all at one time and have a duscussion.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll add a picture from a little further out...

So you can see that the crack starts on the bench, extends to the wall and then goes through the mouth of the skimmer on the bottom left and then extends up to the coping. We had a minor earthquake her in Las Vegas right around the time I noticed this. The blame game is beginning. I started with the Pebble Tec company. He called my Gunite guy and said it's him. The Gunite guy said he would fix it. His foreman came out today and said he thinks it's a plumbing issue. This is the point when I wish I had a pool builder to yell at

23,000 gallons, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, MasterTemp 400K heater, 2 VS Pentair Pumps, Clean and Clear 520, IC 40, Intellitouch, 2 Pentair Intellibrites in Pool and 1 in Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow I'm really sorry I know that's gotta make you sick in the stomach. That sure looks like a major structural crack to me because it goes all the way up the wall and caused tile seperation near the skimmer and seperation of the decking pavers. It sounds like the earthquake was the cause. I'm curious whether even if you had a pool builder they would warranty damage from an earthquake. They probably have some type of "acts of god" language in the paperwork. Maybe that type of damage could be covered by homeowner's insurance. Good luck. I'm sure it can be fixed but may cost a little more and may need to drain the pool to get it corrected.
    Thanks,
    Gil

In-ground: 20,600 gallons; Sand Filter 1HP pump; Kreepy Krauler; Solar Breeze Solar Powered Robotic Skimmer; TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I can't imagine this is a good thing. I would be raising **** for sure.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

8. Back To Top    #8

Shouldn't the gunite be strong enough to withstand a plumbing issue? Sounds fishy. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I agree with having them all over at the same time. You don't want to have to keep going back and forth with the he-said-she-said malarkey.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you ever get this figured out and resolved? I just sent you a PM about your build.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, It was actually a leak near the mouth of the skimmer. I'm guessing that the water from the leak expanded the soil and caused the shell to crack which is troublesome because I had "max steel" put in during construction. The Gunite company honored their warranty and came out and did a pressure epoxy and paid to have the pebble tec patched. I'm really glad I had a pebble plaster because they blended the patch in great and it's not even noticeable. Ironically enough the gunite company was the most expensive of the bids I got...and the shell still cracked. So more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality. Sometimes you just have bad luck...But pool is patched and all is well

11. Back To Top    #11

Good to hear. Glad it was a simple fix and you are back up and running as new.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you for the update, glad to hear it worked out in the end!
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.