Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clairification on TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Clairification on TA

The Recommended Levels for TA says TA 70-90+ for plaster with Bleach. The card included with my TF-100 kit say 100-120 for manually chlorinated pools. My TA measures 110-120 ppm. Don't know why there is a difference in the recommended targets.

Do I have any reason to do anything?
    Shotcrete, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue interior finish
    Pentair EasyTouch with wireless, IntelliFlo VS+ SVRS pump
    Paramount PV3 infloor cleaner & MDX3 drain, Heliocol solar heating
    Perimeter 94', 13866 gallons, Max. dimensions 33' x 14, depth 3'6"-5'0", Baja entry & knife-edge end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clairification on TA

Depends on how stable your pH is. If it's drifting high quickly, then drop the TA and see how it goes. If it's pretty stable (mine goes up .1 every day or two - that's stable for me), then leave the TA alone, assuming your CSI is within the acceptable range.
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF100 recommendations are assuming you are using trichlor tablets for chlorine, which are very acidic. TFP's recommendations are assuming you are using bleach/liquid chlorine/SWG for chlorine, all of which are PH neutral. The higher TA levels for dichlor help buffer the PH so it doesn't change so rapidly from the acidic nature of trichlor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mikech View Post
    Depends on how stable your pH is. If it's drifting high quickly, then drop the TA and see how it goes. If it's pretty stable (mine goes up .1 every day or two - that's stable for me), then leave the TA alone, assuming your CSI is within the acceptable range.
    Sorry but I don't know what CSI is and could only find a couple of reference to something called Calcite Saturation Index.

It looks like having a stable pH of 7.7 and a TA of 110 is okay. Am I understanding correctly?

Here's my stats from latest sample:
    • FCL 3.7
    • TCL 3.7
    • TA 110-120
    • PH 7.7
    • CH 250
    • CYA 40
    Perimeter 94', 13866 gallons, Max. dimensions 33' x 14, depth 3'6"-5'0", Baja entry & knife-edge end.

5. Back To Top    #5

CSI looks at all of your parameters and it's final value will tell you how likely you are to have scaling (high CSI) or damage from calcium leaching out of the pool walls (low CSI).

Our general recommendation is to keep each individual value close to the TFP recommended ranges, and you won't have to worry about it - it will be balanced.

The qualifier is if one or more is seriously high or low, then you would have to compensate elsewhere to keep CSI in tje appropriate range. The value is found at the bottom of PoolMath. Given the numbers above and assuming a water temp of 85, your CSI is .25, which is fine.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    CSI looks at all of your parameters and it's final value will tell you how likely you are to have scaling (high CSI) or damage from calcium leaching out of the pool walls (low CSI).

Our general recommendation is to keep each individual value close to the TFP recommended ranges, and you won't have to worry about it - it will be balanced.

The qualifier is if one or more is seriously high or low, then you would have to compensate elsewhere to keep CSI in tje appropriate range. The value is found at the bottom of PoolMath. Given the numbers above and assuming a water temp of 85, your CSI is .25, which is fine.
    Thanks. Didn't see the CSI factor and was paying attention to the items I listed.