Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Repairs--Am I getting Gouged?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Repairs--Am I getting Gouged?

Hi just bought a house with an above ground pool which needs a few holes repaired and a new liner amongst other things. It's a tricky situation since one end of the pool was covered by my deck and he needs to pull up some of the boards to replace the liner. I got a quote of $1675 for the following. Materials $725, Labor $950. Am I getting gouged?

New Beaded 20 Gauge Full Print Liner
    Patching the Wall
    Foam Padding
    New Skimmer and Return with Gaskets
    Pulling Up Boards
    Re-Groom Bottom of Pool
    New Bead Receiver (track for liner)
    Clean out and add Sand to Filter
    Start Pump to Check if it Works
    New Pool Cover with Air Pillows Tension Cable
    Winterize Pool
    One Year Guarantee On Work

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Repairs--Am I getting Gouged?

Welcome to TFP!!!

While I have no experience with AG pools, that sounds like a lot of work for the price.

Of course at this point, we do not know if this is a 4000 gallon liner or a 40,000 gallon line.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks! I'm in Massachusetts near Boston. I can check on the Gallons part of it.

4. Back To Top    #4

It also appears in your scope of work they are replacing the sand in your filter. Sand doesn't wear out and there are only a couple of limited circumstances when it should be replaced.. Generally it is a way for pool companies to make add on sales and extra money.

THIS THREAD will explain a sand filter and how to "deep clean" it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

What I was getting at with regard to the size ... A liner for a round 12' diameter pool is going to cost less and is easier to install than one in a large custom shape with a deep end.

Ah, now I see you added a bit of a breakdown. You have to pay for "expertise". That said, many members have replaces their own liners.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah here's a picture. Hard to tell, but the deck where the pool opens is covering the edge of the pool, making it impossible to get at the liner without removing part of the deck--hence the increased labor. Not just a simple liner replacemenet job.

pool.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Of course you are being gouged anytime it has anything to do with a pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the Industry

For everything they are doing...it's a reasonable price...but the sand doesn't need to be replaced in the filter, that's a waste of $100.

Is the return and skimmer damaged? Not sure why those are being replaced if not.