Ripped Pool Cover - Beyond Repair or Just Patch it

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
We just pulled out the pool cover the previous owner left and found 4 large rips in it and about 10 small ones. One rip is about 3 ft long, the other 3 are 1 foot long. The smaller ones are 6" or less. image.jpg

Should we fix it, or trash it? How long do these covers last?

How much do these cost new? Seeing some on craigslist. How is the size determined? My pool has hot tub behind steps. Also thinking, if I could find one cheep used on craigslist I could use as patch material. Perhaps some material at a camping or fabric store

That many rips indicates that the cover is probably too far gone to be worth repairing. It's probably dry rotted. Good patching is not cheap and a good repair shop would probably not be willing to do the repair as th cover probably could not be restored to safe condition.

Anyone know where i can find out how much these cost or how long they last? I figure i have about 4 weeks left here in OKC before i have to close it. Getting creative, either lots of duct tape or go buy a cheep folding camping chair and cut out the material and start sewing.

Price depends a lot on how it fits around things. I paid $1200 for my cover for my 20x36 Grecian several years ago. Ordered mine through poolcenter.com. It's possible the company that made it still has the dimensions saved and could make a new one with no measuring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO, That seems like a lot of damage and even if repaired it's likely to start ripping elsewhere. Either the material is starting to degrade or something drastic fell onto it and stressed it would be my guess. Either way I think you'd be better off either trying to get through the winter as is or with some DIY patching and get a replacement next year or just break down and get a new one now.

IMHO, That seems like a lot of damage and even if repaired it's likely to start ripping elsewhere. Either the material is starting to degrade or something drastic fell onto it and stressed it would be my guess. Either way I think you'd be better off either trying to get through the winter as is or with some DIY patching and get a replacement next year or just break down and get a new one now.

Beginning to think so, how long do these last?

They can last for about ten years. Even longer in some cases. I would recommend going to a safety solid cover. Can you post a picture of the pool and dimensions?

You'll probably need to drill in some new anchors if you go with a solid cover because they have more anchors. So, you will need to factor in installation as well to the cost.

I don't have a clue on $$ for a good one. I buy the cheap $50-$70 poly woven ones and if I'm careful with it I can get 4-5 years out of it before it gets so soft that it just shreds when you pull on it.

Attachments

• cover, cheap tarp.jpg
    cover, cheap tarp.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 81
They can last for about ten years. Even longer in some cases. I would recommend going to a safety solid cover. Can you post a picture of the pool and dimensions?

You'll probably need to drill in some new anchors if you go with a solid cover because they have more anchors. So, you will need to factor in installation as well to the cost.

10 years, ok, is that a cheepo mesh or is that looploc?... I know nothing about these, but assume looploc is the best. We plan to be in the house for 20+ years. Pool dimensions are: 36' x 18' but then the steps and spa make a rectangle at one of the 18' ends, right in the middle. The dimensions of the spa and steps are 8.5 long and 7.5 wide. The 7.5 is on the 18' side. Those dimensions are the dimensions of the surface area of the water, not the cover itself.

Update... fixed it with black canvas strips on both sides and a ton of sylicone II for outdoor waterproof use. Going to limp it through this season and get a good cover for next season. Tried to add a photo but my quota is exceeded already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.