Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level discrepancy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level discrepancy!

getting ready to close in a couple of weeks and just got back from a week long trip. Tested water and all numbers are in line except FC, which was 8 (weather has cooled a bunch and hasn't been a lot of sun) so I lowered the IC40 a little but my salt level showed 2450 on my easy touch and when I tested it with my Taylor kit it was 3600. The cell will be turned off below 2900 right? What do I do?
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt level discrepancy!

First, check that the cell is not scaled up. Reading lower than normal is a sign of a dirty cell (or failing, but this is pretty new for that to be the problem).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Has it turned off for low salt? My Circupool is supposed to shut down at 2500 and below, but would give me a warning before that.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Shouldn't be scaly cause I cleaned it in August and it wasn't scaly then either. It is not off it still has lights on.
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a similar problem with my IC40 persistently reading low levels of salt. Even though I didn't see any scale on the cells, there must have been some buildup on the salt sensor. Cleaning the cell with approx 60/40 H20/muriatic acid (29%) resolved the problem.

My salt readings have been pretty stable at around 3600-3800 ppm for the last 4 months. Previously, the sensor was reading 2700 ppm. The reason my salt is so high is that I had added a couple bags of salt before discovering the real issue.

When you cleaned the cell, did you fill it high enough to cover the sensor?
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by peterl1365 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my IC40 persistently reading low levels of salt. Even though I didn't see any scale on the cells, there must have been some buildup on the salt sensor. Cleaning the cell with approx 60/40 H20/muriatic acid (29%) resolved the problem.

My salt readings have been pretty stable at around 3600-3800 ppm for the last 4 months. Previously, the sensor was reading 2700 ppm. The reason my salt is so high is that I had added a couple bags of salt before discovering the real issue.

When you cleaned the cell, did you fill it high enough to cover the sensor?
    I Ryan it up over the plates a little bit. Don't really remember if I'd went over the sensor.