Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My Raypac NG heater finally rusted out to the point of no repair this year. I was happy with the unit while It lasted and it was easy for me to maintain. I decided to replace it with same (cuppronickel version). By replacing with same Plumbing, electric and gas connections would be identical.

Got a price from Inyo pools about $900 less (delivered to my door free shipping) than my local dealer-- decided to replace it myself.

Hardest part was getting it to my pool pad down a few steps.

Three easy connections and I was up and running. Only thing new for me was the NG connections. Just bought duplicates of what I removed from home depot, NG pipe seal, and very simple to replace.

I am Happy with Inyo-- very fast delivery-- less than a week.
Happy with the new heater-- works great.

One Caveat:

After initial install I thought I heard an occasional sizzling @ the heat exchanger. ? a leak. Called Inyo and they referred me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer would not speak to me since I did the install myself and told me I had to have a dealer come out. Their site is vague about warranty coverage in the DIY situation.

Fortunately no leak-- dry as a bone-- was probably condensation or something burning off in this new unit.

The Manufactures are a bit Schitzophrenic. They are not dumb and they know that online re-sellers are selling directly to end users. Clearly they want the $, but they are not eager to hand hold the do it yourselfers. I get that-- but then don't sell to the e-tailors.

Anyway, i am happy, dry and saved about a grand but have no Idea what support I will get in the future from Raypak.

It may pay to have a dealer come over for a few reasons.

First to sign off on the install to insure you don’t have any warranty issues.

But more important is to have the dealer or maybe a licensed plumber sign off on the gas line install etc.

God forbid you have a gas problem that leads to some issue where there is property damage or even worse, you don’t want to hand your insurance company cause to not cover your losses.

I do a lot most of the Electrical work at my house as well as running the new fuel line(75' trenched) to our oil fired pool heater. When I get done with the majority of the work I have a licensed Electrician do the panel work & sign off on the job. For the oil line I had the Oil Company attach it to the heater and sign off on the job. It took him 5 minutes and he didn’t even charge me. This way I can’t get any BS about DIY from any Insurance company if something happens.

I ran into the same issue with my heater and my local pool store vs the web. I fully understand the benefits of paying sales tax and supporting local etc. but over $1000 more for the same heater?? And no tax. Nope. Not happening. Bought via the web. I did the electrical hook up to my subpanel and had a plumber hook up the gas line that I trenched and ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input.

On many levels I know you are correct. I feel comfortable with these jobs and I don't take the safety concerns lightly. My install is identical to the previous heater. Unfortunately I live in an area where service charges are at a premium. Raypak did not say they would not cover a DIY warranty issue, they just weren't pleasant about it. DIY And warranty are grey zones for many companies who allow sales to the end consumer. They want the $ but not the headache.

I agree and I too like to support local when prices are reasonable. From open box to hookup took me about 30 minutes. Worth $900 ??, and don't forget if the dealer sold me the heater there would have been even more profit in it for him.

Thanks to this forum I have now supported, installed replaces fixed and maintained almost every aspect of my pool. Using BBB and now my automation system I have saved thousands on chemicals.

Thanks for your input.

DIY Heater replacement a year later :

A follow up to last years post:

Coming to the end of this years swim season.

The heater I installed last year has been perfect. No issues, no leaks. Even though it is CU/nickel for my SW pool I added a zinc anode a s a safety precaution .

No regrets about the self install here.

Pool heater Diy Install quick follow up.
3 Years now and the heater has been flawless. Still no regrets about the self install. Each season I grind down the sacrificial zinc anode in my system. Glad I put it in.

As a suggestion, simply pay a licensed pool boy to install it for you. I purchased my 366k btu raypak at inyo for 1709, and had it installed for 350. beat everyone's price, and has a full 1 year warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a suggestion, simply pay a licensed pool boy to install it for you. I purchased my 366k btu raypak at inyo for 1709, and had it installed for 350. beat everyone's price, and has a full 1 year warranty.
But...but...it's going on three years on his DIY install with no issues whatsoever! I agree, if you're in doubt about your ability to tackle the install, get someone in to do it for you. But OP's point here is he saved money on the install and it's gone much longer than a 1 year warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.