Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blah!

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Blah!

I bought some granular stabilizer from Home Depot today and the instructions said to pour it slowly into the skimmer.. so that's what I did. Almost 4 lbs of it. Then I looked up on TFP how to add CYA and it said to put it in a sock. There's a bunch of it sitting in the skimmer now.. but I have the pump running at full speed. Should I be worried? It's the first time I've ever added it.. brand new pool.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blah!

I done that once. The water couldnt hardly get through because the granules were in the way. When the granules get small enough they will go through the skimmer basket and then be stuck in the filter until they fully dissolve. It takes awhile for them to dissolve. Just dont backwash for a week or you may backwash your stabilizer out.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it's ok. Just stir the granules in the skimmer with the pump running and they will be sucked to the filter. Just remember not to backwash for several days. We suggest the sock because so many people forget, and backwash all their new stabilizer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

OK. I when I checked this morning they were all gone. Nothing in the skimmer, nothing in the filter, and my CYA is 30 (up from 0)! I was worried more about damaging my equipment than anything else. PB started up the filter without DE and says they do not add DE for the first 30 days. But the manual says not to run the filter without DE for more than 3 minutes. ? So hopefully I don't burn a hole through those elements.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

How do you know there is nothing still in the filter?

I am not sure I agree with the builder about running without DE.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I was wondering about that too.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How do you know there is nothing still in the filter?

I am not sure I agree with the builder about running without DE.
    I am sure he means in the sight glass or basket strainer. I have done that with stabilizer in the skimmer basket and felt the same way.

And had to wait to backwash 😡

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

8. Back To Top    #8

Unless the filter comes with DE already in it, Im positive there is none in there. The person who started the equipment said they dont add any for the first 30 days. I called Pentair and they said the filter should definitely not be run without DE and that after this amount of time the elements will need a light acid wash at the very least. So Im not happy about this. Should I demand replacement elements from PB or just an acid wash?

EDIT: (I mistyped, I meant nothing in the skimmer or pump.. I have no idea whats in the filter .. probably at least a pound of CYA based on this mornings test plus all the plaster dust since startup)

9. Back To Top    #9

I would make them do something about the filters. With no DE, all the little plaster dust is clogging up the cartridges which is not going to be removed from backwashing alone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!