Getting a lot of Air in my return lines

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello, looking for some help with some bubble issues I am seeing in my liner pool.

1. Large bubbles come up from the returns, lots of air showing in the filter skimmer basket window.
2. Small micro bubbles, tons of them, like a big cloud can be seen coming from the returns.
3. Is it possible that one or of the valves for the skimmers is sucking in air? I think at least one is sucking air because, I notice on the filter lid, more air appears in there when i open one particular valve, is

Details if they help: No point of entry for air can be seen from pool or skimmers. Appears to be at least 2 leaks around the pump, one where the pump filter bolts on to the front of the pump, one where the pipe attaches to go to the sand filter. Appears to be a leak on the top of the sand filter just under multi-port valve.

Is air in the system a bad thing or just annoying?

If its sucking air then the crack should be between the pump and skimmer somewhere. Some use the foamy shaving cream to find the suction side leaks.
If you have a crack between the pump and return it should be leaking water.

Air in the system like that will aerate the water and cause your pH to go up faster, just depends on how bad it is.

If its sucking air then the crack should be between the pump and skimmer somewhere. Some use the foamy shaving cream to find the suction side leaks.
If you have a crack between the pump and return it should be leaking water.

Air in the system like that will aerate the water and cause your pH to go up faster, just depends on how bad it is.

Shaving cream, that's a great idea. I see why it would be leaking after and sucking before. It must be the valves. Not sure if mine is this exact brand, but it looks a lot like it, except old and gray. http://www.aquaramapoolsandspas.com/assets/images/Parts/jandy_never_lube_4716.jpg

Will have to try shaving cream trick

It's not 100% certainty that a leak after the pump would leak. I've had an after pump leak suck air once before.

Step#1 should be listening at all the connections, before getting more complicated. I have usually been able to hear my leaks.

(I had a number of small leaks as my temporary equipment pad settled and put stress on the plumbing.)

Thanks all, still messing with it, it is a Jandy valve, but an older one. I took one apart that I knew was leaking and put some lube tube on it and this helped, I have six of these. Is there something special about these valves? Why not just use a red handled ball valve from HD? I will be checking into the o-ring sets suggested by easttn.

The on/off ball valves like to stick when set to one posistion for awhile and I mean stick. Also I would guess there is more flow restriction in the ball valve. The jandy valves are more expensive though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.