Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Research - San Antonio Tx

1. Back To Top    #1

San Antonio, TX

Pool Research - San Antonio Tx

My first post!! The first thing I need to decide is gunite or fiberglass. My house was built in 2008, I have records for the soil evaluation from them. Sand until 16 ft deep. At 16 ft is sandy/clay and they hit water at 24 ft. Just looking at my foundation, I can state that I have 3ft of slope across 70 ft in distance.

I talked to gunite builder and FG builder and to no surprise both were the best solution for the sandy soil. Any suggestions and what would be the best solution for the sandy soil? I am also curious on what would be the recommended minimum distance from my slab foundation? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Research - San Antonio Tx

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know a thing about the distance from foundation, and not sure it is that critcal. However, there are some really good builders down there, and I would consult one of them. I would nudge you to gunite, but that is my personal preference by far. Just make sure they put in a crushed rock/gravel bottom. A reputable builder will do that, or what is needed for the soil down there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pool Research - San Antonio Tx

Yeah, like brushpup says, I think the end user characteristics of masonry and FG are FAR more important on their adaptability to sandy soil. Both should perform equally well and, unless someone local can give you a common sense answer as to why one or the other should not be used, I would learn more about the characteristics of the pools that will affect you directly......look, touch, size, etc.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School