Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA 200+ Where do I get reverse osmosis service?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 200+ Where do I get reverse osmosis service?

Hi.

Been learning a ton here the last 2 months (thank you all!)

New home owner. Pool looked sparkling, pretty clear the day we first looked at it.

Read a paper report from July the cya was only 50. Hooray!

Not so fast!

Former owner had used the pucks (of course) I took them out after moving in 1 month ago.

Managed to get PH to 7.2 which was nothing when I first tested with TF100 kit.

Got the TA to a fair level.

But oh boy is the CYA off the charts. I even did the 50/50 dillution test.
    I still can't get the beaker filled to 100 before it becomes impossible to see
    through (have it on a magnetic stirrer with back lighting)

So I was thinking of a 45% drain next spring, but heard about reverse osmosis.

Is it worth it? I can't seem to find any places locally searching google.

any advice appreciated.

all hail tfp!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 200+ Where do I get reverse osmosis service?

Welcome to TFP!

Reverse osmosis is available only in an extremely limited area in the SW US.

There is a good chance you will lose a significant amount of CYA over the winter, so I'd just wait until spring and address it then.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there some reason for you not to just drain and refill? My water is fairly expensive and it only cost me $80 for my pool which is about the same size as yours.

Like JohnT suggested waiting till spring might be your best option.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you know what your current water temp is? What does your water look like? Do you have current test results that may be at least close to what one of our recommended test kits may say? CC being one of the important ones to help us know if you have any problems going on in your pool.
    I see you have a tf-100. 45% replacement isn't going to result in what you probably need. If it is only 200, that will need at least a 75%. It could be much more since you haven't come up with a close estimate.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Drain and refill on my pool cost me less than $100 for water, even adding in the salt and other chemicals, it's still well under $200. The quote I got for RO treatment was $350-450 depending on whether it took one day or two.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, had no idea it would be that cheap to drain & refill. A friend of mine's dad has a 30,000 gallon pool and
    told me this past summer when he did a drain and refill, his water/sewer bill was $ 3,000. Maybe he added
    an extra zero in his old age.

Water temp today is 62 degrees.

FC: 14.5
    CC: 0.5
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 110 (a bit high, should have added only half that 4 lb box of baking soda grr)
    Calcium: 375

As a result of the high cya (I think) I have been getting some light green algae growth
    in 2 areas of the pool side wall out where the return jets don't quite reach.
    Today it's a bit cloudy, can barely see bottom.

Haven't run the pump a few days due to plumbing maintenance. The former owner
    had used rubber hoses to and from the pump assembly to the pvc main plumbing.
    2 of the 3 were bulged out badly and I feared a burst so I had them replace
    with all pvc then the union to the pump leaked, but it's all good now.

7. Back To Top    #7

How are you doing the CYA test with the magnetic stir? You're supposed to use the little bottle with red cap, and squirt that into the CYA test tube with your back to the sun.

Check with your water company- let them know you need to fill your pool in the spring. My company gives me a sheet to fill out with a meter reading before and after, then they don't charge sewer on that portion of the water (which accounts for 3/4 of the cost of the water). Don't mention the "drain" part.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

When I had to lower my cya over a year ago, I had to drain and refill 8,000 gals 5 times (40,000gals) the total cost including my normal household usage was just over $200. Our wastewater charge is level regardless of how much is used.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Pacific NW, unless you are on the desert side of a mountain, you should get significant winter rains with which you can dilute your pool water by at least 50%. The rest you can do partial drain/refill over the months and not incur high water charges.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    How are you doing the CYA test with the magnetic stir? You're supposed to use the little bottle with red cap, and squirt that into the CYA test tube with your back to the sun.
    I use my Speedstir to make sure the water and reagent are mixed thoroughly when testing CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

I had always assumed the shaking part of the instructions had to do with aeration of the sample and not mixing
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I had always assumed the shaking part of the instructions had to do with aeration of the sample and not mixing
    No, it is simply to blend the mix thoroughly. It requires no aeration, to my knowledge.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Wow, had no idea it would be that cheap to drain & refill. A friend of mine's dad has a 30,000 gallon pool and
    told me this past summer when he did a drain and refill, his water/sewer bill was $ 3,000. Maybe he added
    an extra zero in his old age.
    $3000 would be insane, however in my neck of the woods, your sewer part of the bill goes up at a rate much higher than the water part for increased water consumption (i.e. sewer bill is determined by how much water you use). So if your water bill doubles, the sewer triples or quadruples. I can imagine that if you used 20 times your normal monthly water, combined water and sewer billing in some parts of the Country could be crazy high. Plus we also have a penalty (conservation fee) for using more than the 24 month rolling average. When I filled my pool, I was able to negotiate away the conservation penalty fee, but I had to provide a document from the pool remodeler. They would not budge on the increase for the sewer, however, but there is a cap or maximum sewer fee they can charge in our area

Try calling your water company to get the straight scoop.... and if you are not connected to the sewer system (i.e. septic-finger system) your water bill may only increase a couple of hundred dollars. Just be sure to drain and refill in steps so you don't pop the pool out of the ground. Obviously that will take more water to get the CYA down.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I am a little confused. Please clarify these comments:

Was this from a Pool Store? If so, how did your CYA in July go from 50 to 200 in a few months.

Does this mean you have Algae?

What exactly happened with the chemicals during the time lapse from July to October? Which chemicals did you add? Unless I missed something? Maybe something went wrong with the testing?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
    and if you are not connected to the sewer system (i.e. septic-finger system)
    You never want to dump a pool into a septic system A large tank is 1,000 gallons. Dumping too much water in to quickly will flush solids out from the tank into the drain fiels and ruin it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post

Read a paper reporpreviouslyt from July the cya was only 50. Hooray!

Was this from a Pool Store? If so, how did your CYA in July go from 50 to 200 in a few months.

What exactly happened with the chemicals during the time lapse from July to October? Which chemicals did you add? Unless I missed something? Maybe something went wrong with the testing?
    1: I'd bet that was a listing report that probably had no relationship to the reality.
    2: Probably, and why that's closer to the reality. You'd be surprised at what an owner will do to make his pool pretty blue including dosing multiple lbs of dichlor to hide what was a likely green algae water.
    3: pH Was certainly not zero. That was probably a gross exaggeration. Only meaning he had to dose substantially to get it up to 7.2
    I'd doubt the the low pH has anything to do with algae. Low FC of course, but not low pH.
    They only moved in about a month ago. Had nothing to do with the chemicals before then. He removed the tabs at about the time he moved in, so it appears.

17. Back To Top    #17

If I notify the city that I'm filling my pool and tell them how many gallons, they waive the sewer fees as the water is not going into the sewer at any point. That's the most expensive part of water for me: the per 1000 gallon sewer charge.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

18. Back To Top    #18

CYA will react with melamine, and reaction product is a prcipitate. Some people have done it, but it is a messy process if you do it in the pool. I think it is better to try to add a little in the skimmer and see what happens (add a little and measure later), then add a little more and measure again, etc. Melamine is not an expensive product.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Yes that's what I did, but it was dark outside, so I only used the light on the magnetic stir as a way to back light the test tube with the black dot at bottom. (not mix it)

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post

Yep "pool company" printed a report of levels in July. CYA was listed as 50, I was Thrilled, until TF100 indicated much higher.

The PH might not have been zero but it was yellow and not any where near what it needed to be. It took almost 45 lb's of sodium carbonate
    over a 3 week period to get it to register 7.2

The previous owner relied on the pool company for his knowledge....enough said.

My water supply is billed with the local water bureau.

My sewer billing is done through a major city bureau. Both seperate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast