Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG / BBB System: Set-up Order?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG / BBB System: Set-up Order?

Dear All,

I've just installed a salt water chlorine generator to my hot tub.
    I'm also going to try the BBB system as well.

Can anyone tell me in what order I should address the various chemicals added to a freshly filled tub?

Should I add the CYA first, then add bleach to get a correct Chlorine level (which will then be stabilised), then look at pH, then TA, then borate levels and finally add the correct salt amount?
    (How long a wait between adding / adjusting for each chemical?)

Or is there better order in which to address these variables?

Thanks,
    D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG / BBB System: Set-up Order?

The order you gave is fine if turning on the SWG is the last step. You can add the chlorine while the CYA is still dissolving (i.e. I wouldn't wait a day to add the chlorine). In a spa with good circulation, you don't need to wait very long between additions. With jets, just a few minutes between additions is fine; with no jets but with circulation then 5-10 minutes should be plenty. Spas circulate very quickly and well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG / BBB System: Set-up Order?

Hi ChemGeek,

Thanks for your verification of my intended methods.

I am sure the more I consult this forum, the wiser I shall become.

- D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall