Hayward SP3400VSP / Intermatic T30401R Timer

lf-pool

Silver Supporter
May 17, 2013
We are going through a pool remodel. We recently had a plumber install our Hayward VSP to the Intermatic timer. I thought since the Hayward had a it's own timer that there was no need to connect it to the timer, but that's what he did without really explaining it. The thing i found odd was that our heater was making a buzzing sound. It's gas powered and wasn't on, but it's still consuming some electricity. I'm thinking that I haven't heard this in the past because the single speed pool pump probably was louder than the buzzing sound. They both were turning on and turning off at the same time since it was connected to the timer.

Is there a right/wrong way to wire this - direct to a circuit breaker vs the timer? Or are there any pros/cons to either design? My goal was to save on electricity, but now if i run the VSP for 12+ hours a day then I'm stuck with the heater most likely consuming energy as well. Should I hire a 3rd party to check the work??

:confused: :cheers:

My pentair vsp is wired to a timer for no reason also. I think some pool installers have just always done it that way. We took the tabs off the timer and just leave it in the on position. We don't have a heater but the the solar controller is connected to the pump with the rs232 pump control cable so it can control the pump. We programmed the pump to run at 1100 rpm all the time because we have lots of trees. The solar controller changes the pump speed when the solar panels come on. If you have a hayward heater you should be able to connect the pump control cable to the heater so the heater can turn up the pump when you need heat. The pentair VSpump has 8 different programmable timers and speeds. I would think the hayward does too. But the manual wasn't all that clear so it took a lot of reading and trial and error to get it figured out. But, once I did it is sweet. Someone with a hayward VSpump can probably help more.

Thanks for the input pooldv. I have about 2 weeks left before we fill the pool and start the pump. That's when i plan to toggle with the various speed configurations. I plan to run it a bit higher (maybe 1750-2000 rpm) for the initial week to get all the loose plaster out of the pool. I'm still concerned that the buzzing from the heater is going to consume enough electricity that may hurt the wallet.

Any other suggestions from the forum??

I ended up paying the pool startup guy to rewire the pump directly to the breaker. Now i have the intermatic timer turned off and elimated the buzzing sound from the heater. I like to think that it'll save me energy in the long run, but it definitely gives me peace of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.