Pool Leak

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
I am hesitant to share this but figured I would get some feedback. I will not name any names as we are still in the process of figuring out the issue.
-Had a 17k gallon fiberglass pool installed at the start of summer and went great all summer. we truly loved the pool and enjoyed it (although a cool summer cut short the fun)
-Just these past two months we noticed a small crack running across the coping (we did not put in a deck, just grass up to the coping they poured). I did not think anything of it for as we all know if you pour concrete it will crack.
-about a week ago wife thought raccoon had been in pool. black scratches on the first step. but then we noticed more on the next and on the bottom of the deep end following curve of the pool. I thought must be spider web cracks I have read of.
-fast forward to this last week, came home to a pool where the water level had dropped about 3 inches. I though ok maybe evaporation? so I filled it again, same thing the next day.
-decided to let it run its course and let it run down skimmer. it ran to bottom of skimmer and kept dropping. so I called installer and let him know. he said most likley a jet leak, cracked fitting etc. whew, good thing no deck, easy to get to.
-let it keep dropping and it went below all returns and now below led lights as well. it has since dropped 2 inches below led. there are no other holes/drains etc below this point. only shell.
-somehow we have a hole/crack/leak in the shell. builder says in his over 300 pool installs he has never had this.
-not sure what next step is, they are coming tomorrow to locate leak but not sure if they will decide to replace shell or want to repair. I think they will call manufacturer but i fear they will want to repair and I doubt integrity of that if it has already leaked once.
I know there are plenty of fiberglass haters on here and this will only reinforce it but I think it is still a fine type of pool I just suspect there was either some error in the manufacture process or the install. (near the spot of the cracks they had put a strap to straighten one side of the pool (it is rectangle) and put pressure to straighten it and backfill and pour coping) I really am at a loss. Not mad at anyone at this point but interested to see which direction this goes.

If the pool was new this year and has a leak in the shell that far down (or anywhere for that matter) I would not want a repair. My installer slipped with a utility knife in a corner and put an extra slit in the liner by the coping above the water line. They repaired correctly and put a 5 year guarantee to replace the liner if need be in writing. This was above the water line and caused no leaks. I would want a new shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow not a good situation. This sounds like it could be a serious crack.

Some suggestions.

First take notes and lots of pictures. Pictures Picture Pictures. With dates. They are vital in construction disputes.

Second, you are now adverse to your PB but try to get along and work things out. The PB has an interest in keeping you happy.

Third I would make written warranty claims against both pool builder and manufacturer now. Letter, email, something.

Finally I'd try and find a structural engineer who knows something about fiberglass pools. That may be difficult but I'd spend a day trying. Do internet searches for pool engineers and call and ask for local referrals. Whatever happens its always good to have an engineer covering your back and evaluating alternatives in any construction dispute. They can give you unbiased advice on how serious the problem is and whether proposed repairs will work. They can have intelligent conversations with the PB and the manufacturer's engineer (Yes they will have one). They are usually worth the money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.