Diffuser - is this right?

Apr 24, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm replacing the motor on my Hayward Super II pump. I've watched a few videos to make sure I'm doing things right. There is one thing that isn't adding up. My diffuser doesn't look like any of the ones I've seen in the videos and I'm curious about how it is to be connected. Most videos show what appear to be locking tabs for the diffuser to connect to the seal plate. Mine doesn't have tabs to click in; the diffuser instead goes over the top of the seal plate. There is next to nothing holding it there. It appears it can rotate couterclockwise less than an inch at which point it wouldn't be allowed to rotate any further.

Is this right? The diffuser part number is SP3021-B which appears to be the correct diffuser for my pump. I believe the ones I have seen are for smaller pumps. I'm just not sure if I should rotate the diffuser myself or the the water should do that. Feels odd that it's sort of hanging there and I don't know how diffusers work.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding pics...

View attachment 33435

View attachment 33436

Looks normal to me. There many several different designs but yours has a tab (on top) to prevent the diffuser from rotating so that is all that is really needed.

Thanks for the confirmation. I just put it all back together and it sounds like it is running normally and I don't see any obvious leaks or hear any weird noises. The no flow message is still appearing but I'm not sure why because water is definitely moving and there doesn't appear to be any air in it. My second leaf cannister has developed a squirt when I shut it off, but that started happening just prior to the motor failing. Onto the next chore....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.