Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diffuser - is this right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Diffuser - is this right?

I'm replacing the motor on my Hayward Super II pump. I've watched a few videos to make sure I'm doing things right. There is one thing that isn't adding up. My diffuser doesn't look like any of the ones I've seen in the videos and I'm curious about how it is to be connected. Most videos show what appear to be locking tabs for the diffuser to connect to the seal plate. Mine doesn't have tabs to click in; the diffuser instead goes over the top of the seal plate. There is next to nothing holding it there. It appears it can rotate couterclockwise less than an inch at which point it wouldn't be allowed to rotate any further.

Is this right? The diffuser part number is SP3021-B which appears to be the correct diffuser for my pump. I believe the ones I have seen are for smaller pumps. I'm just not sure if I should rotate the diffuser myself or the the water should do that. Feels odd that it's sort of hanging there and I don't know how diffusers work.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding pics...

Attachment 33435

Attachment 33436
    19K PebbleTec in-ground with spa, Hayward Super II pump, DE 60 series filter, T-15 SWG
    Water feature, Hayward Northstar pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diffuser - is this right?

Looks normal to me. There many several different designs but yours has a tab (on top) to prevent the diffuser from rotating so that is all that is really needed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the confirmation. I just put it all back together and it sounds like it is running normally and I don't see any obvious leaks or hear any weird noises. The no flow message is still appearing but I'm not sure why because water is definitely moving and there doesn't appear to be any air in it. My second leaf cannister has developed a squirt when I shut it off, but that started happening just prior to the motor failing. Onto the next chore....
    19K PebbleTec in-ground with spa, Hayward Super II pump, DE 60 series filter, T-15 SWG
    Water feature, Hayward Northstar pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it possible the flow sensor is plumbed in the wrong direction? That's the first time you mentioned the no flow "still".
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter