Thar she blows!!!

mrd5

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2014
Vienna, VA
I figured I'd share my story of stupidity for all to enjoy:

So I haven't backwashed in quite a while (over a month) and my pressure gage is suspect (the face came off and the needle indicator is open to the weather), but I figured since I'll be closing next weekend and tearing apart the filter for a thorough cleaning, I could probably limp along another week -- WRONG. I was right next to the filter, fiddling with the diverter valves when the seal let loose on the filter housing and I got a spectaular cold shower. My wife came running out when she heard me screaming like a little girl but then had herself a good laugh at my expense.

Needless to say, the filter got a tear-down and a full cleaning a little sooner than I was planning and I guess a new pressure gage will be on the to-do list for next spring (I would love to know how high the pressure got before she let go). I suppose that while it wasn't pleasant to get a cold shower yesterday it was probably a good thing I was right there to shut the pump off. Can't imagine the fun I'd be having right now if it happened unnoticed during the night or when I wasn't at home.

That should not be possible if the filter was closed properly. The equipment is designed to handle up to 50psi. Pool pumps are not capable of even generating that much pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.